Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virusprotect Does Anything But Protect Your Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

The latest in a long line of rogue anti-spyware was released today called VirusProtect 3.8. VirusProtect is the successor of the AntiVirGear and VirusProtectPro programs. As all Zlob rogues, this program is installed when you download and install a fake audio or video codec required to watch a video on the Internet. When the Trojan is installed, it will automatically display a fake security alert in your Windows taskbar and then install, without your permission, the VirusProtect program. Once VirusProtect is installed, it will automatically start a scan of your computer for so called infections. What it finds, though, is the actual malware that it installed VirusProtect in the first place. In order to remove this malware you need to first purchase the software.
VirusProtect Screenshot
As you can see, this is a scam and you should avoid this program at all costs. Instead use the removal guide linked below that will walk you through removing the software without paying any money to do so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

They must make a lot of money with these, they keep coming out.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Another one to watch out for.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:29 AM

Ah. I've had a similar one to this. Do not get Ultimate Defender/Ultimate Cleaner. Not good. I ended up reformatting my hard drive because of this nasty little devil.
"When I was an Alien... Cultures weren't opinions." - Kurt Cobain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users