Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edit Debug Print Strings In Dll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

I don't know how to program, I only have experience with html editing and using reshacker to get my aim ads to go away.

** cliff notes at bottom

My dilemma:

My mom has a UTStarCom/Audiovox pc 5740 air card from Verizon (Wireless "broadband" internet). They sold it to her saying it had unlimited access and she was within the coverage area. Her house is located on the fringe of the BroadbandAccess area, but well within the NationalAccess area.

The software that comes with the card, VZAccess, is built to search for the EVDO Broadband signal (fast), but if it can't find it or the signal is weaker than it's slower counterpart, the program hands off to the National 1xRTT signal which is slower than dialup. So basically, if using the verizon software, it signs on to evdo for 3 seconds, then switches to 1xrtt, then its too slow and webpages time out and vzaccess puts the connection in dormant mode. The only way I have found around this was to ditch vzaccess and just go through xp, but that uses the 1xrtt signal too.

I recently saw on someone else's site that he took a look at the dll file that his card was using in VZaccess (I have a different card but it should still apply to my specific dll). He searched the debug print strings for what he wanted to change and got his connection moving, but the article assumes that you know how to edit a dll.

I opened process explorer and found the dll that my card was using while vzaccess was running and found a string that says verbatim: "WMC_NETWORK_ERROR_EVDO_REDIRECT_TO_1X" without the quotes. I need to edit this handoff out so that I can log onto the evdo network via vzaccess and stay at high speed for more than 3 seconds. The pc5740 is the only card that doesn't have an antennae so that is not an option and I don't want to tell her to buy a new card and antennae if vzaccess and windows won't permit constant evdo connection.

** Need to edit the string in my moms wireless broadband program's dll. The string says it redirects the connection from the fast network to the slow and I want to remove this value in the dll since there is no option through the program's interface.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge I receive; I tried to explain that as best I could but if it still doesn't make sense let me know and I will articulate better.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

Merely editing out a string from a program is not likely going to do what you want, and will most likely break something else. That particular function is being called by something, and if the function does not respond like it is supposed to (because it is missing part of the function), the whole thing is going to break. The string you are seeing is not an actual command to do anything. It is just a logging string, so removing it would accomplish nothing. You would need to find in the code how the function is being called, what it the function actually does, and what the program is expecting to happen. Even if the code were open source, given your admitted lack of programming knowledge, there is really little chance you are going to be able to make the changes that you want.

In the example that you pointed out, he used the debug strings to locate the necessary section of the code, and then made the changes. That implies that he has some knowledge that you do not. Actually, a lot. It is hard enough to edit a program so that one doesn't accidentally break something, let alone reverse engineer someone else's code and figure out what it is doing.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the answer. The thing I was reading said it was called reverse engineering. Sounds like I'd have to call up MIT to get things done this way. I guess all that's left is to try a new card with better reception, or ditch Verizon for something that works. Thank you.

Thanks for the answer. The thing I was reading said it was called reverse engineering. Sounds like I'd have to call up MIT to get things done this way. I guess all that's left is to try a new card with better reception, or ditch Verizon for something that works. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users