Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Starting Correctly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CLBINCALIF

CLBINCALIF

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

Heres the situation. As I stated in a previous post, I had and got rid of a virus, trojan or something along those lines. So we downloaded and installed all the reccomended programs including CA virus program recommended by Time Warner, our internet provider. All was well for a day or two then I turned on the computer one day and instead of it immediately going to my desktop, it now goes to the sign on screen where I click on my screen name and for a fast second it says "Loading your setting", then a second later it says "saving your setting and logging off". I dont know if somehow we changed a setting when installing the new virus and other programs or what happened. I can get into safe mode no problem, I just dont know where to go from there. Do I do a restore point or reformat or ? What would be my best bet, next to taking it into a tech which I really cannot afford at this time. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me.

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 13 November 2007 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

When you get to the login screen is there an option for Administrator? Have you tried that?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CLBINCALIF

CLBINCALIF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

Thats the weird part, it usually will give me two options, administrator or my screen name. But now its only showing my screen name, which is set up with administrator abilities anyways.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

A restore point would be your best option if possible. Let us know if it works
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 CLBINCALIF

CLBINCALIF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:57 PM

Mark, Ok, this is what I tried but it didnt work. I went into Safe mode, clicked on "Last known Good Configuration" That brought me to the ususal Blue Welcome screen, which once again only displayed my screen name. Usually it would bring up my screen name and administrator. So I clicked on my screen name, it said "loading your personal settings, then it quickly flashed my desktop picture without the icons, then it went immediately back to the blue welcome screen with my screen name with it now saying"System logging off". All of that took place in about 5 - 10 seconds. Where do you suggest I go from here? Thanks for you time and help.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

Do you have a XP CD?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 upperlevel

upperlevel

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Ok go to accounts and change the options so WELCOME SCREEN is unchecked.

#8 CLBINCALIF

CLBINCALIF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Mark, XP came preloaded in the machine so no I do not have the cd, but I have the restore/recovery cd that came with the unit.

Upperlevel, Can I do this in Safemode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users