Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Cards Using Vista

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hi all

I am really hopeing someone can help with a problem regarding using Dual Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb cards on Vista Ultimate 64-bit, i am still using winxp pro on one H/D and Vista on the other, the problem i have is in the Nvidia control panel, on xp it shows i can enable SLI and use both cards, but when i use Vista Ultimate 64-bit i dont have the option of SLI and uses only one card, in the device manager both cards are showing but one has a yellow ! on one of them, i have used all the latest drivers that are recommended but still no joy, this is what it says in the device manager for the failing card...

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I do alot of gaming and swapped to vista to try and get it running (though i hate it) and to give it a chance but this is the only snag i have with it, ive been told its a problem with vista drivers etc but im also told there is a cure for this but i cant seen to find it if there is?

My specs....
AMD Athlon 64FX-62 (2.8GHz) Socket AM2
2GB Ram -Corsair XMS2 800MHz
ASUS M2N4-SLI:Dual DDR2,S-ATAII,2xPCI-E,2xPCI
Dual Nvidia Geforce 768MB 8800GTX PCI-E
Galaxy 1000 PSU

I hope there is a cure as i hear Vista is great using DX10 :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vidkid46

Vidkid46

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

:huh: I've got the same problem. Only with a little different hardware, I'm using a ASUS M2N-E SLI with 2 nvidia 8600gt 512mb with Vista home premium 32 bit, and I can't update my video drivers.I get this message"best driver already installed"etc. I've e-mailed nvidia and Asus (who blame each other for the problem)with little luck..let me know if you find the fix... :huh:

#3 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

*sigh* its a shame i cant seem to use two graphics cards in SLI on Vista, and i seem to get alot of game crashes when useing that o/s, seems like Vista is no where near ready yet for the high end gamer, ive gone back to XP Pro as it is a whole lot better and more reliable, i will look at vista maybe in another 12mths :huh: yet another MS balls up imoa! :huh:

#4 Vidkid46

Vidkid46

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

:huh: Well I found a fix for the 2 video card problem...If you haven't tried this yet give it a go it worked for me..simply update your BIOS at ASUS.com, using the software that came with my MB. I was using Bios version 0701 and I updated..now everything works :huh: If you have a problem drop me a line.. :huh:

#5 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

:huh: Well I found a fix for the 2 video card problem...If you haven't tried this yet give it a go it worked for me..simply update your BIOS at ASUS.com, using the software that came with my MB. I was using Bios version 0701 and I updated..now everything works :huh: If you have a problem drop me a line.. :huh:

Thanks for the reply Vidkid46, only one problem i have with what your saying, i cant load any of the software off the cd that came with my MB as the cd is not Vista compatable, i take it you need the program off the cd to change Bios etc? if not how can i do it as im not that clued up on Bios stuff :huh: and also, how do i find what version i have got?

While i think about it, are 8 series cards supported yet or not, because if they aint then will this not be a waste of time trying as i have two Geforce 8800GTX 768MB cards

Edited by big C.O.Z, 22 November 2007 - 01:01 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

Warning flashing the BIOS can render your motherboard useless. You download the BIOS revision from the motherboard mfg. Be sure to read your motherboard manual. I think Asus have a built-in utility to make it easier to flash.
Beginner's guide to flashing the BIOS
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 22 November 2007 - 02:13 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

The cd i got with my MB has a utility that allows you to flash the bios, i can access all the info when useing XP pro, so if i were to flash the Bios while useing XP Pro, would the update in the Bios be the same when i swap hard drives and use Vista Ultimate? im guessing it would but since i have never done this before it would be great if someone could correct me if im wrong :huh:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

Yes, the BIOS is independent of the operating system. Just be sure to read the procedure a few times and maybe even print out the instructions so it doesn't go bad
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 22 November 2007 - 06:28 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:25 AM

Ok, ive updated the Bios to 0901 and that went well with no probs :huh: , still cant enable dual cards through the Nvidia control panel as the option still is not there, ive still got the ! mark on one of the cards when i look in the device manager and im useing the latest drivers for the cards (163.69), i have PC Wizard 2008 installed and it shows both cards and temps and fan speeds etc for them, so it knows they are there B) so what else did you do Vidkid46 is there something i have not done right ?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

I have to ask the obvious and please don't take it the wrong way. The 2 cards are bridged correct? Just double checking., I figure they are
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

Thats one of the first things i checked, but just so you know, it is bridged correct :huh:

#12 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

i know this is no help and totally oblivious but sweet system man are they 768mb each cards or together put out 768(like a 512 and 256)

#13 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:15 AM

Yeah these cards are the best ive ever had, 768mb x2 is awsome when gaming but its a pity i cant get both to work on vista with DX10, one card will run no probs, they both work fine with XP Pro and graphics are great :huh:

#14 Vidkid46

Vidkid46

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:04 PM

:huh: Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, just became a grandfather, things been sorta hectic..let me ask, have you went into your bios after you updated your software and set up both of your cards for SLI, the control ask if you want it to run on "auto" "1 card" "2 cards" I set mine up for 2 cards and then the nvidia sli controls became active. And yes SLI is supported by 8 series..Hope this helps.. : :huh:

#15 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

:huh: Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, just became a grandfather, things been sorta hectic..let me ask, have you went into your bios after you updated your software and set up both of your cards for SLI, the control ask if you want it to run on "auto" "1 card" "2 cards" I set mine up for 2 cards and then the nvidia sli controls became active. And yes SLI is supported by 8 series..Hope this helps.. : :huh:

Many congrats on being a grandfather and just in time for xmas :huh: as for the problem with vista and my dual graphics cards, i still cant enable them and i still dont have the feature in the nvidia control panel, i have tried all ways through the Bios and is on 'Dual cards' at the mo, im running out of things to try but if it worked for you then it must be something im doing wrong i guess? B) it must be possible as pc's are being sold using Vista in SLI, might be something simple but i cant see it lol :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users