Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntoskrnl.exe Needs To Be Replaced

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Tim

Jersey Tim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:35 AM

XP, eMachines 2.5ghz, 4 years old, one hard drive 80 gig, NTFS, one user, cable connection direct, memory 1024, dx 9.0c.

Can't get a dx log or hijack this report.

Can't login to Windows at all. Can't login via Safe Mode. Repeats shutdown/startup

Computer stops during boot up and displays message that NTOSKRNL.exe (windows\system] needs to be replaced.

Recovery Console opens but none of the commands I've found online at Trend Micro, MacAfee, or other places work.

2nd Recovery Console (after clicking to accept license for XP installation) can't display and doesn't show. There's an error text message there, but I forget what it is...something about partition, I think.

CHKDSK fails at 16% saying (in essence) there are damaged areas -- again I forget message, sorry.

At first, I thought this was a virus. First symptom--I couldn't open any desktop shortcuts or Task Manager. Then, no bootup.

Now, I think it might be hardware.

Currently, I'm seeking a way to suck my docs off the hard drive.

Thank you!

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:46 AM

Sometimes a faulty keyboard can cause this. Try another keyboard if you have on handy (or maybe borrow a friends).

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode menu?

Also, you could go to the website of your hard drive manufacturer and download a diagnostic tool to test the drive.

I assume you already tried typing this in the Recover Console:

expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

but if not, try that also (where d: is the CD drive).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Jersey Tim

Jersey Tim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:49 AM

Yes, thanks, I tried that command, but I will try it again. The problem with recovery console now is that it no longer asks for my admin PW, and prompt says C:\> NOT C:\WINDOWS as it used to.

I can't get online with the machine that is down, so I can't use the hard drive diagnostic tool and the machine I'm currently on is crap and not mine :thumbsup: And, yes, I did try a different keyboard. Nada. No bootup options work at all -- not Safe Mode, not Last Good Config, etc.

When I get home I am going to try
1-booting from Windows CD by setting up BIOS
2-installing damaged hard drive as slave to this one to access documents and save to flash stick.

THANK YOU!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

Often the hard drive diagnostic is a boot CD, so you may still be able to run it.

Also, the expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 command won't work unless you have a Windows CD in the D: drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Jersey Tim

Jersey Tim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

Right, that's how I get a prompt--recovery console. Besides, it needs the file on the cd, right? I'll look into the drive diag CD. Thanks.

What do you think about moving the HD to another comp as slave? This computer, though older, runs exactly the same XP Home OS.

Edited by Jersey Tim, 13 November 2007 - 10:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users