Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exe Files And Program Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 upperlevel

upperlevel

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

UHHH... :thumbsup: I am Stumped by this one. I think it may be a virus. I can't run any .EXE files on my computer except firefox. When I run anything it pops up with this "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.". I have searched everything everywhere (including this forum) and can't find the exact same problem. PLZ HELP RIGHT NOW. I'm trusting you!

Edited by upperlevel, 13 November 2007 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:41 AM

See if anything here might help:
You receive an error message when you try to start a program that has an .exe file name extension
Cannot run EXE files - Programs don't open
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:46 AM

You could also try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP - #12 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:56 AM

Well...if you think it might be a virus...what steps did you take to confirm/refute the idea that your system is clean/unclean?

Louis

#5 upperlevel

upperlevel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:40 AM

Well i do have a problem with a certain exe file that runs adware by just poping up bubbles. I found the exe and am trying to delete it but when i end the process, it starts back up immediatly. And thanx guys but i think ive tried allthose things, but i'll check em out anyways. ill get back to u

#6 upperlevel

upperlevel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

The Kellys korner thing is just text.
And i dont know how to get that working, as it is just text. I cannot run notepad so i don't know what to do to do with that

Edited by upperlevel, 13 November 2007 - 10:53 AM.

#7 upperlevel

upperlevel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

I told you the error is "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". It's not that it doesnt know how to run them or that it can't find them. Its that it can't ACCESS them. Thanx again. I can't start up in safe mode, either because I only have three shutdown options, not safemode. ANY OTHER SUGGESTOIONS?

#8 upperlevel

upperlevel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

Ive figured out that it has nothing to d with associations. I just think a virus may be blocking my access to any exe besides firefox (which it needs to show popups).

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

upperlevel,

I've moved you topic to this forum, to see if they're able out help you out with your infection.

Well i do have a problem with a certain exe file that runs adware by just poping up bubbles.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 upperlevel

upperlevel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

tg1911, can you give me the location to whee you move the topic? cuz im still accessing it from the original spot

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

Sorry about that, upperlevel.
it's in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Here's a direct link to your topic:
Exe Files And Program Problems

#12 upperlevel

upperlevel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

Thnx, tg1911. I STILL NEED HELP GUYS any suggestions? i've got an IT guy at the momet

#13 PC6uru

PC6uru

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

When the computer is starting up tap the f8 key every couple seconds and it should bring you to a dos like menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode. Once there try opening any .exe file, or try doing some virus scans.

#14 upperlevel

upperlevel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

i did that but i dont have any antivirus in safemode

#15 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

I have had a problem simmilar to that,except way better.I couldn't run any rar files. I didn't know how it occured or why,but I got it working when I downloaded winrar32 again.Maybe your computer is having trouble because it doesn't have the program to open exe files or something like that.Hope this post helps,and sorry,cant help you with the program that opens exe files,cause I don't know what it is. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users