Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Trouble

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sabur

Sabur

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi all.. I upgraded my dinosaur 64 MB stock video card to a 256 MB AMD Radeon 9200 today.. Everything seems to be working well except no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the bar on the bottom with the windows, start menu, time etc to come up.. I can't even get the start menu to come up when I push the window button.. I don't know what else it would be other than the video card.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:57 PM

what is your resolution set at? did you install the drivers?

#3 Sabur

Sabur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

Yeah I installed the drivers and I'm running it at 1024x768 .

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:07 PM

and did you adjust the monitor screen control so that all 4 sides are not off the screen?

#5 Sabur

Sabur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

Yep, I checked all of that.. My computer is treating it as though it doesn't even exist.. Do you think there may be a problem with my drivers? I installed them but you never know with these things..

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Restore Taskbar and Start Menu - #117 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Sabur

Sabur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

Budapest, I downloaded and merged the fix into the registry and restarted with no effect whatsoever.. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I'd hate to have to digress to my previous video card.

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:27 AM

exact make and model of Monitor and video card, please.

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

Have you installed the latest drivers for you 'AMD Radeon 9200', not particually the ones that come with the card as these can be an old version, try downloading from their website?

Did you have any 'themes/skins' installed prior to installing you new graphics card, perhaps they have become corrupt and thus the task bar not showing correctly. Try altering the themes to 'Windows Classic style'.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#10 Sabur

Sabur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Robert Isbell - My monitor is a 19" DELL Trinitron and the Video Card is an ATI Radeon 9200..

However the exact thing my Display Properties say is 'DELL P991 on RADEON 9250 .. Weird that its supposed to be 9200..

FireKracker - That's the first thing I did when I realized it wasn't working.. I went to the ATI site and downloaded/installed any updated drivers.. As well, I didn't have any themes departing from the classic windows XP theme..

Any more suggestions will be highly appreciated.. I really want to tackle this annoyance!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

Actually, that comment about using the newest drivers with ATI cards...I find that to be NOT the case.

I have 2 AIWs and I find that the original drivers work best...I believe if a sampling could be taken of ATI card owners with the not-latest cards, my experiences/opinion about this would be backed up.

Try the original drivers, after removing the most recent ones...that would be my suggestion.

Louis

#12 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

I realize this may sound like a stupid question but have you tried pulling it up? :thumbsup:

First, right-click the task bar (whatever part you can see) and see if LOCK TASKBAR is checked. If it is, uncheck it. With the Task Bar unlocked, you should then be able to put the cursor at the top of the task bar and pull it up, while holding down the left mouse button. (you can also pull it to the side or top of the screen; try that too, just to see if it is working properly)

I once reinstalled an OS because I thought there was this same problem and it turned out I had just reduced the task bar to next to nothing. :flowers:

Hope this helps.

DR

#13 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:04 PM

he can't see the taskbar, how is he supposed to click it?

what is the refresh rate set at? seems it supports resolutions of 1600x1200 at 85Hz.

here's the monitor driver. http://ftp.us.dell.com/monitors/delmon0_.exe

#14 Sabur

Sabur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

It's at 60Hz.

#15 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:40 PM

In my case, I could see just a thin blue line across the bottom of the screen. If he could see that, it would be enough to bring up Task Manager or the properties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users