Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh God. Please Don't Let It Be Fried!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 o0KrazyyKuti0o

o0KrazyyKuti0o

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

sooo
first off i dont even know if i'm in the right thread, but i'm in some desperate need of help, and am about to lose my mind from stress.
boy, am i glad i found this place.

over the past year and a half or so, i've storing my writing on a CD-ROM.
and nearly a week ago, i had about 500 pages dedicated to several drafts of this novel i was writing.
well. idiot that i am: i was saving-editing-and resaving on the sort of disk that is originally intended for music.
which, i'm sure we know isn't supposed to be constantly edited.

anyway.
a few days ago, i tried to access it, so that i could finally print my final draft, and found that the disc wasn't reading, or even accessing.
a friend of mine, who works at an electronics company, tried to find it on his computer, and told me that there was no way to recover all of my work.
the file, and entire disk was fried.
and, as imagined: i was ready to cry.
i've been working on this FOREVER.
its some of the best writing i can recall doing, nevermind finishing.
already i've tried downloading a free program called Isobuster.
but for the life of me, i cant figure out how to work it.
does anyone have any suggestions? or just some help as to how to start with Isobuster?
because i promise, that if i need to start over, i'll have to cry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

You probably won't find this very encouraging, but if the system can not read the disk, I am very doubtful about the ability to recover anything. Rewritable CDs are not meant to be used like a hard drive Popular convention is that they can be rewritten 100 to 1000 times, but I have doubts. I checked the websites of several manufacturers, and none of them mention how many times a cd can be written to, although I found out a properly stored CD should last 30 years.

A cd is a cd; it doesn't know what sort of data you are writing.

I hope I am wrong, and that you can retrieve your data. The data is still there, but I am not sure what good it is going to do. Good luck.

#3 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

did you try to see if the cd could be read on another machine? I know this is not news you want to hear, but, you may want to invest in a USB thumbdrive.

what happens when you try running isobuster on the cd in question?

Edited by Robert Isbell, 12 November 2007 - 11:41 PM.

#4 o0KrazyyKuti0o

o0KrazyyKuti0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

well.
i figured that none of the reply's i got would be very encouraging.
but i appreciate them, nonetheless.

i was planning on buying a thumbdrive anyway, but i would really LOVE to recover my work first, and then save it to that device after.
as far as other computers go, i've tried several different ones: no luck.

when i run isobuster, i honestly have no idea even as to where to start with it or how to explain it.
maybe if anyone here has ever used the program, they could be of assistance?
because im just as confused as im sure anyone else is.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

First thing to try is to carefully but thoroughly clean the disk with a soft cloth and then see if it will work.

Next, try recovering the data using CDCheck. I've never used it before but it is a freeware application for the recovery of damaged files on CDs.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 o0KrazyyKuti0o

o0KrazyyKuti0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

First thing to try is to carefully but thoroughly clean the disk with a soft cloth and then see if it will work.

Next, try recovering the data using CDCheck. I've never used it before but it is a freeware application for the recovery of damaged files on CDs.

Okay.
Thanks so Much!
I'm trying to figure it out as I reply to this,
so if anyone has used this before:
you help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by o0KrazyyKuti0o, 13 November 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

Take a look at CDRoller. It's grown a lot with more functions than just recovery. I've used an old version before and IMO it's the best.

Support of wide set of CD, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD formats such as:

* CD/DVD format CD-DA,
* CD/DVD format CD-ROM,
* CD/DVD format CD-WO,
* CD/DVD format CD-ROM XA and Mixed-Mode CD,
* CD/DVD format Stamped multisession CD,
* CD/DVD format CD-MRW ("Mt. Rainier" CD-RW),
* CD/DVD format DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM.

http://www.cdroller.com/

http://www.cdroller.com/htm/download.html

Has a 14 day evaluation. I haven't been able to find out if the trial is limited in any way (ie only 50% recovery), but it doesn't look like it.

Don't give up until you have to. You may go through several programs before finding one that works.

Edited by mommabear, 13 November 2007 - 03:31 PM.

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

okay guys, recommending other programs when she has a perfectly capable one already, and then not tell her how to use them is wasting their time.

Brazykuti, you may want to read the help section on isobusters website seems they are well written and should be easy to understand.

http://www.smart-projects.net/help.php

#9 o0KrazyyKuti0o

o0KrazyyKuti0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for suggesting the help guide, but sadly, I've already tried several times with that, and it doesn't seem to detect anything on my disc.
Although, I REALLY DO appreciate it. As I've stated already.

Anywho, as far as the CDroller goes, I would LOVE for you to give a quick explanation.
Otherwise, I can try Isobuster again, I suppose.
Nevertheless, I really don't want to give up on this thing!

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:19 PM

where in ISObuster are you having a problem using it?

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for suggesting the help guide, but sadly, I've already tried several times with that, and it doesn't seem to detect anything on my disc.
Although, I REALLY DO appreciate it. As I've stated already.

Anywho, as far as the CDroller goes, I would LOVE for you to give a quick explanation.
Otherwise, I can try Isobuster again, I suppose.
Nevertheless, I really don't want to give up on this thing!

It's been a long time since I've used it and I found it after trying several others that, like you said about IsoBuster, I couldn't figure it out. CDRoller has more stuff in it now, so I can't tell you exactly where to go. But in the older program I remember just putting the bad disk in, and selecting a couple of the options on the screen got it started "reading" the disk. If one option failed, I tired another. I think it had graduated options, from basic "scanning" to more extensive scanning. Again, if remembering correctly, what I liked about it was that it didn't rename the files it found with something obscure. It told you the names of the files it was able to find in real English.

#12 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

My guess is that the disc is being used as a rewritable. Various programs like DirectCD (from Roxio) and InC (from Nero) allow you to use a rewritable CD like a big floppy drive. Without getting into the technical aspects, these programs use packet writing to store and retrieve files from these discs in a UDF format. You can copy files to it and erase files from it just like any other drive. But sometimes these types of discs go south.

ISOBuster says it can recover files from one of these discs. The file format is different from a hard drive or floppy drive so many file recovery tools will not work on one of these discs. If you were using one of the above programs, to have ISOBuster attempt to recover lost files follow the directions on ISOBuster's support pages here: http://www.smart-projects.net/help.php?help=145

Let's see if anything is found. If not, the disc might be unrecoverable.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#13 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:41 PM

I've had alot of success with BadCopy Pro, managed to recover a vast amount of work for students at school using this software. If you decide to try this program then I'm more than willing to offer assistance.

I know its easy for me to say and but in all my time in computing I canno't stress how important it is to make numerous backups, as annoying and tedious it is, it certainly saves alot of time when disasters like this occur!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users