Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Uninstall Runescape?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Icedrake

Icedrake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Does anyone know how to totally uninstall Runescape so you won't have any of its files left? Because there isn't any option around to uninstall it. Please help!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

Uhh I'm not sure if i'm write but you did not download any files on your hard drive to play runescape right? Its a browser game so I don't think you need to uninstall because theres nothing to uninstall? I'm not sure.

#3 gshaver2006

gshaver2006

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

Runescape is a game that runs in a browser's window, using Java. If you had to install anything for Runescape, you most likely found a fake website and downloaded a keylogger or something else like it. If you could tell us exactly what kinds of files you need to delete, maybe we can find out what they really are.

#4 Мєηιcє

Мєηιcє

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

If you had to download files then it would be too easy to hack into the files and edit them, that is why it is solely browser based.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

Haha, why did you download runescape? XD

Well what runescape downloads is a desktop bookmark, meaning its like a internet book mark on your desktop :flowers: All you do is click and it launches Internet Explorer (Or what ever your defualt browser is) and takes you to the page.

To Uninstall: Just delete the icon on the desktop :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 Icedrake

Icedrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

No, no i mean when you play Runescape online, it downloads some files to your computer, like updates etc etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to remove those stuff?

#7 gshaver2006

gshaver2006

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

Nope, its just temporary files.

It's all in-browser stuff; if you go to the real Runescape website, nothing downloads except cookies. this just makes it faster to load the next time you play. You wanna delete the stuff? Really? Then just clean out your cookies folder :thumbsup: All done!

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

My computer -> hard drive -> WINDOWS

Delete the folder ".jagex_cache_32", and you're done.

Although there really isn't a reason to do so, and messing around in your OS folder might mess it up. I just stumbled across that one day...

Do it at your own risk. It shouldn't mess up anything, but it just might....

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#9 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:39 AM

If you ever have problems removing programs via the usual channels, then mostly it's just deleting the appropriate folders/files on disk.
You can do a windows search for them.
Saves are often found in the folder "my documents"
Then the registry probably have been modified. You can safely leave that be, but if you worry about cluttering it, you need to manually remove those.
run -> start (XP)
regedit
You can right-click and search for developer/release company/game name.
Be darn CAREFUL what you erase from the registry. The registry is a highly sensitive area to tamper with.
Tuneup utilities among others does this better than windows build-in regedit.

These is no easy method/wiz trick to do this for you.

read carefully and good luck. :thumbsup:

#10 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

Although RuneScape is indeed an online game, it adds some files onto your computer so it can unload and function correctly. I found the files by going to My Computer, then going to Local Disk (C:). There's a file called .jagex_cache_32 for me, and I'm sure if you delete that all the Jagex files will be gone from the computer.
Hope that helps :D
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#11 godrealm

godrealm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

Nope, its just temporary files.

It's all in-browser stuff; if you go to the real Runescape website, nothing downloads except cookies. this just makes it faster to load the next time you play. You wanna delete the stuff? Really? Then just clean out your cookies folder :thumbsup: All done!

Runescape is a game that runs in a browser's window, using Java. If you had to install anything for Runescape, you most likely found a fake website and downloaded a keylogger or something else like it. If you could tell us exactly what kinds of files you need to delete, maybe we can find out what they really are.

Post edited to comply with forum rule:

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

~ Animal

#12 grailwolf

grailwolf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'm sure the above comments are well-intentioned, but they are incorrect. RuneScape provides a download so that you can play straight from the desktop, and also seems to (perhaps optionally) download a number of other files for faster gameplay. I'm seeing files such as jagexappletviewer.jar, and jagexappletviewer.preferences, and JagexLauncher.exe and am currently trying to find good uninstall info as well.

BTW, the game was played by my nephew, so I'm not sure whether or not he was prompted to download these files.

#13 slare

slare

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

Haha it's a browser game you don't have any files on your pc related to runescape

#14 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

Ask in your OS forum, I think there's a program called something like "Unlocker" that will get rid of things that won't uninstall, including games and other stuff, I had to use it to get rid of an old Civilisation version a while back.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

You cant really install runescape itself. You can install various other features such as runescape menu bars, wallpapers, screensavers and the like. Most of these can be uninstalled from windows control panel add/remove programs. As far as anything the game installs, it doesnt install anything. If you dont want any files on your computer, just clear your browsers cache-and that clears anything runescape related (as least as far as the game itself is concerned)

Edited by the_patriot11, 23 March 2011 - 11:10 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users