Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Disabled By Administrator?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kixfan

kixfan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

I just had a rather annoying issue pop up. I hit ctrl/Alt/Del to get at task manager and I get a pop up message saying "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator" . I AM the admin as no other accounts exist on this computer. I also noticed that my system retore was off for all drives. I have since turned it back on but I didnt turn it off!! My virus scanner finds nothing and spyware scanners find nothing either. Anybody have any idea what could have caused this? Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:44 PM

Disabling the task manager is one of the goals malware likes to do so as to make it harder to remove.
I would do the online virus scan here-
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
X

#3 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

I completely agree. In the meantime try this: http://majorgeeks.com/RRT_Remove_Restricti...Tool_d5635.html
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#4 blakethornton

blakethornton

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

I just had this problem last week... it was really becoming a pain, because even when I removed the regkey that disabled taskmgr it would come right back.

Thinking quickly I just grabbed the sysinternals process explorer and killed anything that looked suspicious, then I removed the registry key and was able to use task manager.

If I recall correctly it was caused by a case of vundo, along with a few other nasties... I ended up spending quite a bit of time resolving the issue 100%.

Combofix and VudnoFix helped out quite a lot.

#5 kixfan

kixfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a try tonight when I get home.
Dennis

#6 NORMAN1

NORMAN1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

I had the same problem after infection with a trojan/phony virus called worm.win32 NetSky. MS's virus removal tool took care of the trojan/virus but I was unable to open Task Manager and got the same nonsensical error message you did. I tried eset com but that required using IE which I stopped using when I installed FireFox. So I tried maajorgeeks aand that took care of the problem in about 5 seconds. Many thanks for that suggestion.

#7 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

On a similar line that 1101doc gave you about the Remove Restrictions Tool at majorgeeks is a task manager enabler tool that can be found at either of these links.

Go to the site from either of these addresses and get a little program/utility which will allow you to enable task manager again. Best to you...

http://taskmanager-enable.qarchive.org/

http://www.softplatz.com/freeware/enable-taskmanager/

Best to you...

#8 kixfan

kixfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thank you for your help!!