Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway 300s Desktop Circa 2003

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hey Gang,

I have my hands on a Gateway 300s desktop computer and cannot figure out how to get the side(s) off so that I can add some RAM. Before you go scurrying off to the gateway website... Gateway has the wrong computer pictured when I search their website. I have downloaded their manual for this a 300s desktop computer and it is not the right manual. Here is what my computer looks like:
Posted Image
Any help anyone? Please?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

if you can get me the serial number I can help.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

here Albert but you need a big thumb

After you undo one large thumbscrew and slip off the gray side panel, the case opens smoothly. The tight interior unavoidably lacks the room found in more-spacious tower designs, but it is relatively neat. Two open PCI slots and one free memory socket are easy to get at if you lie the case down on its side.

PC World
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the help guys! It is a micro tower and it is one of at least three different pcs with this model number gateway has built.

Someone sent me this photo:

Posted Image

Yes, the thumbscrew must be removed on the rear, and then push in on the release button on the front and the top will lift off (assuming it is sitting on it's side and not in it's vertical stand).

Thanks for all the help.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

You're welcome !! :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:28 AM

Where was this post yesterday morning when I was trying to open the same system!!!
Arrrgggghhhhh!!!! :thumbsup:

Just FYI -
There was 3 thumbscrews on the rear - as I recall it's the one in the middle that has to come out. The top one was in the corner of the PSU and the bottom one held the retainer for the PCI slots.
The case also had a base that had to be removed first (another customer figured that out for us) - it snapped right off with a bit of pulling.
The case was reluctant to open - once again a firm tug separated it and we got it open.

Finally - the customer that brought the case in was looking for PC100 RAM - and the system takes DDR! We got her back up and running in no time once we got the durned thing open!!! It only had 128 mB of RAM installed - so the 512 mB upgrade was fantastic!

Edited by usasma, 13 November 2007 - 09:29 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Wolfskin75

Wolfskin75

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

I am having the same trouble.. I can't for the life of me get this open.. where is there ... "top" compared to the release button? :thumbsup:

#8 nobones

nobones

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

Just had the same problem today and FINALLY got the case opened with help. The release button is on the front of the case and you will hear it click when you push it in far enough. Make sure you unscrew the middle silver screw on the back that keeps the lid on, push the release on the front and pull up from the front toward the back to open it up. I was trying to install a DSL modem that I discovered wouldn't fit on this motherboard, but managed to add some RAM that I had laying around so it wasn't a total waste of time. There was no information on this case with Gateway and I was going crazy trying to get it open until I had help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users