Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Keeps Rebooting Every 60 Secs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 djgrade_a

djgrade_a

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

can any 1 help

im running xp prof, and the other day my pc decided to reboot it self every 60 seconds

no matter where it reaches with the start up it just goes off

ive tried for safe mode it still goes off

it sometimes starts on checkdiscs but alas still switches off

ive recently had a new hard drive on it and memory didnt go down well so ive took it out , every thing ran smoothly for a while and then as i ay it just keeps switchin off

ive took out the fans and cleaned em , ive checked for loose connections

ive even tried it without my dvd drive

but the only problem is,even if some 1 has got a clue of whats happenin, it only stays on for 60 secs

please? help what i dont need to hear is that ive got to chuck it

nice 1 grade

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:18 PM

Hi djgrade_a:

Have you checked to see if the machine is still under manufacturer warranty?

PCs that i have worked with in the past that are showing this type of behavior have led to either the hard drive (HD) being bad or the motherboard (MoBo) beginning to fail; in some instances, it could be a failing power supply as well, but i think the machine would not even boot back up if the power supply were to blame.

If any of these items are still covered under warranty, contact the manufacturer's tech support or warranty support ASAP, let them know the issue you are having. They may want to perform a few tests over the phone with you to verify the hardware failure and pinpoint the piece of equipment that is causing the unintended system reboot.

Not sure what manufacturer makes your particular PC; but if its a Dell, they are pretty good about working with customers to troubleshoot these failures and are pretty compliant when there are known hardware issues they simply run a few tests with you over the phone and then if they can pinpoint the failure, they will send out replacement parts. It helps if you do your research and homework before talking with tech support, they tend to take you more seriously if they get the impression that you are savvy with your machine and basic troubleshooting. If you can boot to a hardware diagnostics partition or diagnostic disk to check for hardware problems, the information collected here will be gold when working with tech support and helps to speed up the process.

If its not under warranty, it still might be a good idea to contact tech support just to run through the troubleshooting steps with a professional and they can at least let you know what piece of hardware might be the culprit and you can look at replacement options based on your budget and expertise.

Reply back if you need further assistance.

Best of luck, happy hacking!

-dr

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 12 November 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

Have you checked to ensure that the CPU cooler is firmly attached to the CPU? A gentle wiggle will tell you this (with the power off!!!).
If you've removed it previously, did you reapply thermal compound when reseating it?
Have you checked your video card to see that it's firmly seated and that the fan (if so equipped) is functioning correctly and airflow isn't blocked?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

I'm curious as to:

a. How long have you had the system and how long did it run without known problems?

b. When is the last time (and for what duration) did the system not exhibit current behavior?

c. No error messages of any sort?

Louis

#5 djgrade_a

djgrade_a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

ive had my pc for three years (hand built to spec)

it never had a problem till i had a bigger hard drive installed and moree memory

the memory didint take to well so i took it out the new harddrive was fine

it wouldnt boot up about three month ago so i did scan disc check due to the memory problems (the reason i knew i had memeory problems was due to a message that came up whilst using the intenet , when shutting down the pages the message "internet applicationj error with referenced memory and some numbers"came up inside a grey box with a red x

once scan dic check had ran there hadnt really been any problems untll i wanted to turn it on the other week

i must have tried abiut twenty times but no joy,i left it for afew days then tried and it managed to turn on straight away

but from when i switched it off that night its not came back to life -thats when i looked internelly at fans and wirirng and power supplys

i dont think its a software issue as it the comp will start giving the options for safemode and such, it gets through to stage three of a scan disc check butthen turns off. if it wasnt rebooting i would beleive it would be able to fix itself

thanks for interest in my dilemma grade

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

I would be curious to know what happens when you unplug the hard drive and optical drives and all exansion cards etc from the mobo. Does it start up just fine then? Does it stay running or does it shut down? Assuming it stays running, plug in the Optical drive and try again. If runs fine, plug in another device and try again. This will narrow down which piece of hardware is causing the issue (assuming it is a hardware issue). If you narrow it down to hard drive, then run a manufacturers test to test the hard drive. If it passes the test, then it is a software issue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Reference for hard drive utilities by manufacturer.

Louis

#8 PC6uru

PC6uru

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:56 PM

Can you get ahold of another power supply; or try the above suggestion of unplugging everything but the mobo, I have seen power supplies that only fail when having numerous devices plugged in, but work ok when you unplug dvd drives, floppy drives etc.

Try to enter your BIOS at the beginning of booting up, try pressing esc, f1, f2, or del immediatly after turning the machine on, in there sometimes you can check to see if your proc is overheating, and also check to see if the PC still turns off after 60 secs even if just being left in the BIOS screen. This will tell you if the problem is with windows (software) or some kind of hardware problem.

When you installed the additional memory did you clean or check the memory slots real good. I have also had the case of someone installing memory into a dusty memory slot and it shorted out and destroyed a component near the memory and the pc would reboot over and over. Once the component got hot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users