Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hjt Training?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 doomgiver13

doomgiver13

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

I saw a post in the HJT Log forum that was very interesting. It mentioned an HJT Training course, but enrollment seems to have been discontinued. If this feature is ever reopened, I'd like to get involved. It sounds like a chance to be a larger contributor. With as much help as I've received from BC, I'm always looking for ways that I can give more back.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

Hey doomgiver13,

correct. Currently the study hall is closed. If you wish you can check the following link from time to time, to see if enrolment has been opened again: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/admissions/

hope this helps.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#3 doomgiver13

doomgiver13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Yourhighness!! I appreciate the feedback.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

#4 drummerdude

drummerdude

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

how often does it open up for enrollment?

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

drummerdude it's very dependent on the number of Coaches, Instructors and the progress of the members in training. Remember all are volunteers working in the program. The HJT tech training program is very intense, not to be entered into on a whim. It takes serious commitment.

I would suggest checking back every two weeks or so?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 pasha19

pasha19

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

Does HJT training limit itself to those items that can be found in HJT logs or does is also consider malware not present in the HJT?

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

if you take a look at the logs on here and elswhere you will see that the HJT log tool is only one of a variety of diagnostic tools used

as you may also notice, some infections try to 'hide' from the HJT tool so the Team use a selection of devises to dig out/identify the infections :thumbsup:

and a comment well worth noting

all are volunteers working in the program. The HJT tech training program is very intense, not to be entered into on a whim. It takes serious commitment.

Edited by ruby1, 03 January 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#8 doomgiver13

doomgiver13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

all are volunteers working in the program. The HJT tech training program is very intense, not to be entered into on a whim. It takes serious commitment

Which is the primary reason that I'm interested. I'd like to be able to help out with this, and it sounds like a challenge.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Well I was recently appointed a HJT Trainee and I can tell you that the training is very intense just as KoanYorel has said. You need to study up on different things and spend at least an hour a day on it. Also it can take months before you complete the training. But, if your up for a hard and rewarding challenge, then this is probably the best one.

#10 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

Is there a way one can casually follow without having to enrol on the course lest one might fail to become fully committed. The idea of spending at least 1 hour each day would give me some serious thinking! And also after spending so much time learning, I guess I would be expected to be available for help at the BC forum... What if circumstances change (let's say for the sake of the argument, I move to the Amazon forest!) and I can no longer serve the BC Community.

#11 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Well, I'm not sure you can still study if your not involved with HJT in someway, I really have no idea about that. You don't have to spend each day of your life studying. You can skip some days if you want. It is all kind of motivation. You need to be motivated to study for this otherwise you probably wouldn't pass.

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

maybe depends in which Training School you have signed up to ; helpers are always needed and I guess if you explain YOUR particular availability TO the school and teachers, and see if an 'agreement ' on training speed can be agreed?

During your training you will probably find yourself 'working ' on logs on many different sites ; good variety of problems and difficulties to say the least :thumbsup:

#13 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Is there a test at the end of training? And how would one be tested? By disinfecting a real HJT log posted on the forum or a written log to test specific areas of your learning? Also, what study materials do you use? Is it usually on the Internet or you get books?

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

like in ANY good training, you have tools you need to learn how to use, you have to learn how and where to find the information you need ;EVERYTHING you do will be under the strict supervision of the teachers and trainers, and I think you will find , that, as infections are rapidly changing and evolviing , it s a process of lifelong learning; and I beleive you will be 'tested', at every step of the way to make sure you have learnt the lesson from the step you are studying before you can move on to the next step

#15 __RiP_ChAiN_

__RiP_ChAiN_

Eh, whatever goes here.

• Members
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

like in ANY good training, you have tools you need to learn how to use, you have to learn how and where to find the information you need ;EVERYTHING you do will be under the strict supervision of the teachers and trainers, and I think you will find , that, as infections are rapidly changing and evolviing , it s a process of lifelong learning; and I beleive you will be 'tested', at every step of the way to make sure you have learnt the lesson from the step you are studying before you can move on to the next step

An excellent description for it, I believe. It's true that it takes serious commitment to go through this type of training, but it's also equally true that it proves very rewarding. There's nothing like the feeling you get after you've "saved" a person's computer, and the thanks you usually get from the person is very nice as well.

Is there a way one can casually follow without having to enrol on the course lest one might fail to become fully committed. The idea of spending at least 1 hour each day would give me some serious thinking! And also after spending so much time learning, I guess I would be expected to be available for help at the BC forum... What if circumstances change (let's say for the sake of the argument, I move to the Amazon forest!) and I can no longer serve the BC Community.

Although it is generally assumed that you will help out with cleaning computers after you graduate, circumstances do change, and if you were to move to say the Amazon forest, that would be that.

maybe depends in which Training School you have signed up to ; helpers are always needed and I guess if you explain YOUR particular availability TO the school and teachers, and see if an 'agreement ' on training speed can be agreed?

Most schools are the same in that you need to stay active in your training or you will get removed, but everyone is welcome to go at their own pace, as long as they are staying active during their training.

Is there a test at the end of training? And how would one be tested? By disinfecting a real HJT log posted on the forum or a written log to test specific areas of your learning?

Trainees in their final stage of training do actually work on "Live Logs" in the malware forum, under the direct supervision of a Teacher/Administrator here on the forums. The status of a trainee in this stage is called "HJT Senior Classmen".

Also, what study materials do you use? Is it usually on the Internet or you get books?

Everything you will need is already available on here or elsewhere on the internet.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users