Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:54 AM

Now I know this may come as a silly and prolly trivial question too but i was just thinking...music. How many songs do you guys think are in existence, now what i mean by that is: Well nowdays cd albums come out every so often and contain like 10-14 tracks right? well how many new albums come out in a year? probably alot right? Now multiply that by how ever long music has been produced professionally. It had to be somewhere in the millions doesnt it? Thats alot of songs!

Edited by monkpart9, 12 November 2007 - 09:54 AM.

If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe_Brett

Joe_Brett

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

34.4 Billion ;)
B R A D F O R D C I T Y A F C

#3 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

Alot? =D

#4 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

So youre just talking songs that can/could be bought on some sort of recorded medium? Theres billions.
Posted Image

#5 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:08 AM

Jees this really makes you think(well me at least). I cant believe there are that many artists out there!
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

Here ya go hurt your head with this, LOL.
Ten years ago 90,000 unique Music titles were produced (that's CD's) worldwide. If you just use 10 songs per CD,you've got 900,000 songs that year. Of course we don't know if how many may be covers.

Optical
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

There are many songs... :thumbsup:
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#8 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

You want to know how many songs there are, well how about how many songs there can possibly be! Music, as I see it, is based on finite resources and it can then be statistically compiled just how many different arrangements and combinations of those resources are mathematically possible.

Let us take classical music. Ever wonder just how many songs can be composed? Can one determine statistically, the exact number of different songs that can be composed? Here's my argument...

For the most part, musical resources are finite. There are only a select number of instruments in the world. They are diverse and come from many ethnicities, but there is a finite number none the less. There are a finite number of beats in each measure, including the rests. You could have two measures that are basically the same except one instrument plays the downbeat in one, and not the other. Still a large number, but a finite number. There are a finite number of sounds that can be made by this finite list of instruments. Even changing the scale and the key every measure (or note) would yeild a large number, but a finite number. One would also need to restrict the number of measures in each piece as you could make the song drone on forever. Also, we would need to control for musical notation outside the realm of mere notes; codas, repeats, etc... There would have to be some assumptions made to make this calculation possible, but nothing extreme.

For example: You have to assume that the lowest sub-division in any given measure was, say, 64th note. Also, you would probably have to assume a finite number of musical styles (classical, jazz, blues, etc...) as one could be made up at any given time regardless. Think about the impact of this. We could effectively predict, log, and reference every possible song that can possibly be writen; ever! Mathematics, in this case, seems to destroy creativity by predicting it.

Agree - disagree?

drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 19 November 2007 - 11:26 PM.

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

#9 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

You get right on that and let us know how it turns out. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

A word to the wise....

Do not dare a nerd to do a nerd thing....It will not end well for you!

Luckily I study political science, not actual science so I will should able to resist the temptation....I hope....

drunkle :thumbsup:

Edited by drunkle, 20 November 2007 - 04:45 PM.

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

#11 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:01 PM

Here's another question:

Say we did figure how exactly how many songs there were. How long do you think it would take to listen to them all?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users