Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Sharing Folder Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bomma

bomma

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:40 AM

I have 2 PCs and one laptop. PC1 runs XP, PC2 is a new Vista Machine and Laptop is new Vista machine.

They all talk on a wireless network connected through a netgear wireless modem router. They all see and access the internet just fine.

My problem is sharing the User folders C:\user\myname on both laptop and Vista PC machines. I can see all the public folders just fine but not the user folders regardless of what I do. They are shared, have the icon and can see them from the other computer but it says "C:\user\myname is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions" when selected

I have gone through all the permissions and talked through it with the smart dudes at the computer shop. They, and I, am stumped.

Accessing the XP machine from both the Vista Machines is fine.

Edited by bomma, 12 November 2007 - 04:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:44 AM

Hi bomma, this article might explain it http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/2007090...ing-center.html
MCP
MSDST

#3 bomma

bomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:51 AM

Not really mate - this is how to show up the XP machine. The XP machine I have no problem with. Its the Vista Machines I am having issue with - from both ends the exact same issue. Given that my firewalls are all exactly the same it doesnt seem right that that would be the issue.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:00 AM

Just a hunch, but try putting an identical account on each machine with an identical password - but don't change the names on any existing accounts. This "mirroring" of accounts should enable you to view the accounts with the same permissions on each machine. It's my understanding that, by default, the workgroup uses the Guest account privileges for accesses across the network (explaining why you can see the Public stuff - but not the account-specific stuff).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users