Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate Help. Windows Is Not Starting.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 eggy1004

eggy1004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

okay so i kept getting the blue screen after trying to download a program called clubbox. so i restarted and everytime i tried to download the file, i would get the bluescreen.(imguesing the clubbox takes alot of memory) i can't say what was on it, just the regular, has to shutdown to prevent damage to your comp.

and right before the last try, i had changed my bios to exactly this
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Media center edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

because i had been getting the (dual boot system) where i would have to choose between the 1 media edition or 2 windows(default)-( in windows default i would get the same message with windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:system32\hal.dll )

this happened because i was trying to reinstall my xp cd.something went wrong so i could'nt finish the installation but it still came as a dual boot system if thats what you call it.. i would again have to choose between windows xp, and media edition. b/c of this it irritated me so thats why i tried to delete the windows xp part in the bios which led to the- media edition, windows (default) situation

wanting to change that i change the bios to what i have up there. and then after doing the clubbox thing. i got the bluescreen, and restarting and now my windows won't start..

just keep getting the message, windows could not start b/c of the following file is missing or corrupt:system32\hal.dll i press any key and just comes back to this...

Edited by eggy1004, 11 November 2007 - 10:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:25 AM

You can download a copy of the hal.dll file from here. Then, use the Recovery Console to copy the file on to your hard drive.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

how can i start the windows recovery console if my cd is not booting. i can't get anywhere.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Are you saying you cannot access the BIOS to change the boot order, making the optical drive first and not the hard drive?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

k no.. i didn't know you would have to press F12 TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE BOOT ORDER.. JUST REALIZED IT WHEN TRYING TO UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION. ALL THIS TIME I THOUGHT F8 WAS THE ONLY OPTION..

JUST FROM YOUR QUESTION YOU SAVED ME SOME TIME. THANKYOU!
IM IN SETUP FOR THE CD RIGHT NOW. SO ILL BE BACK TO TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED.

#6 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

just a quick question. how can you figure out your adminstrator password? b/c i don't remeber ever seting up a password. is there like a default password if you never had set it up?

Edited by eggy1004, 12 November 2007 - 04:41 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

If you're referring to the password request when trying to enter the Recovery Console...just hit the ENTER key if you have not set a password (after typing the number 1 in the option line above that).

Louis

#8 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

Oh my goodness, you are having the same problem that I had ealier. You need to get a CD and run it then click R to access the Recovery Console. When you're in the screen with the command try these followings (One of them works I don't know which because I did all four before restarting my computer). But I recommend you try one then restart then try another if the previous test did not work. Good luck =D

* fixboot
* fixmbr
* expand g:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll <----- on this for the g, you make it where its your CD/DVD drive, mine is G so i put it as G
* copy g:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll <----- on this for the g, you make it where its your CD/DVD drive, mine is G so i put it as G

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114939/omgod-help/

Edited by huMAC, 12 November 2007 - 06:31 PM.

#9 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

the site says (After you enter your password and the Windows Recovery Console starts, type exit to restart the computer. ) after i press enter all i get is c:/ windows

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:14 PM

As it should be...you need to then add the command (e.g. chkdsk /r, fixmbr, fixboot, etc.) to that screen.

The C:/Windows shows you that it's ready for whatever command you want to enter.

You don't seem to know what it is that you want to do, so please tell us what you are trying to do.

Louis

#11 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

oh... i see.

i am just following what this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us is telling me to do..

but it doesn't seem to be real good in explaining what to do thoroughly. so
i dunno what am supposed to do now. my explanation is in the first post..

#12 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

for this * fixboot
* fixmbr
* expand g:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll <----- on this for the g, you make it where its your CD/DVD drive, mine is G so i put it as G
* copy g:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll <----- on this for the g, you make it where its your CD/DVD drive, mine is G so i put it as G

my two options were
1. c:windows
2. f:windows..

since i need to copy the hal.dll from the cd i would have to choose f right?

#13 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

When you're at the c:windows either type in those things i said up there.

* fixboot
* fixmbr

like just type in fixboot and type in fixmbr, like that.

#14 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

for fixmbr
i am getting the following messge

caution
this computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.
fixmbr may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
this could cause all he partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible
if you are not having problems accessing your drive
do no continue
are you sure you want to write a new mbr?

should i continue?

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Yes, that's the standard warning. Click yes and let it run until completion
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users