Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 justjeena

justjeena

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

I only get that blue screen, when I use the wireless usb adapter. The rest of the message is.....

***Stop 0x0000D1 (0xF7cF6738,0x0000002, 0x0000001) RNDISMP.SYS__address F790B&B at F7909000, Date Stamo41ad6492
Then it says something about physical memory dump.

I'm using Lynksys Compact Wireless-G
USB network adapter with speedbooster
I'm on a Dell Inspiron-1505

And I must warn you..... my computer knowledge is limited....but I follow directions well :thumbsup:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jeena

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

This seems like a common memory error, I have seen it many times myself because of my overclocking. Have you changed your RAM sticks? Upgraded?

I would advice you to remove the USB WIFI adpater and run memtest..

What you do is that you download that file from Download.com and burn the image to a CD, to do this properly you will be needing a burning software such as Nero.
If you need more help with this feel free to shoot me a PM :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:12 AM

I don't think it's a memory error, most STOP errors are driver-related. The message itself indicates that it's a driver problem.

Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages - http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Louis

#4 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

I think I had it confused with IRQ_NOT..etc.. (without the "L") but memtest never hurt anybody =)

Do the network device have drivers or is it plug and play?
What OS are you using? (Win XP, Vista, 2000 etc)

If you like reading see what Microsoft has to say about this particular BSOD
Posted Image

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

If you need more help with this feel free to shoot me a PM

Please refrain from doing that. The benefit of hashing things through in the open forums is that everyone benefits from an open resolution. Future resolution seekers therefore have their answers found in the topic.

Thanks,
rigel :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:04 PM

Driver IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error

There is a memory contention problem that is occuring probably attributed to the device driver for the USB Wireless adapter. The IRQ references Interrupt Request Lines for accessing memory resources when there are multiple threads or processes that are running simultaneously. Sometimes the initial driver release for USB products can severely hog memory resources and or CPU processor cycles. Basically the interrupt request line is used to send a request for memory resources when there are not enough resources to run the process sending the IRQ.

If you have a product CD for the USB device, i would uninstall the device and from your computer and reinstall the drivers through the Device Manager (Start >> Run >> Devmgmt.msc). While the device is plugged in, look for it under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers node. Right-click the device and choose Uninstall, but do not physically remove the device. Right-click your computer and choose Scan for hardware changes. Windows should identify the USB WiFi adapter as New Hardware and the New Hardware Wizard should run prompting you to install the device drivers. Insert the product CD and follow the steps in the wizard to reinstall the drivers.

If you do not have a product CD for the USB device, check the drivers and support page at LinkSys website. There may be a known issue with the driver for the device, if there is an updated driver, they will post it on their website. If you cannot access the Internet from your laptop without the USB WiFi device, use another computer and download the driver to a USB memory stick so you can install it manually on your laptop.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

Good luck and happy hacking!

-dr
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#7 blakethornton

blakethornton

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

that error almost always (in my experience) indicates a driver issue.... especially so in this case because it indicates which driver in particular is causing the issue.

I would completely remove, and reinstall the software for the linksys card, using the latest available from linksys.com

you might also browse through this thread as it seems to be the same issue you are having... usasma gives some excellent information about the particular driver in question.

There does not seem to be a resolution in that thread (and it's a year old)... so I would still go with complete uninstall / reinstall of most current linksys software.

Edited by blakethornton, 12 November 2007 - 08:23 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

RNDISMP.SYS is the Remote NDIS Miniport driver (a Windows file on your system) that was where the error occurred (not necessarily the cause of the error).

From this link ( http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xd1 ) this can be either a driver error or a bad memory error. The problem is that drivers must access memory to store their information about the operation of hardware devices. In particular this error is caused because "... a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high." (From this link: "http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_2zdz.htm )

I would verify your model at the Linksys website (I think this might be it: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...aypage=download ) and download the latest version of the drivers from there.
Then uninstall the current drivers, and install the new ones by following the directions at the Linksys website.

This is the most likely cause of your problem - but isn't a sure fix (since the error occurred in a Windows file but no specific cause was mentioned). If it doesn't work, let us know and we'll continue to troubleshoot it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 justjeena

justjeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times.....checked the Linksys website, even went to live tech support, and I do have the latest driver installed.
I'm running XP
Also another message comes up with the Dell wireless WLAN card utility...... RUNDLL32 out of memory

Any suggestions????
Thanks,
Jeena

#10 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

I'm assuming that you have a laptop computer, but please update the computer make / model number for clarification. Remove the USB WiFi adapter from your system, we need to find out if there is a WLAN (WiFi or wireless) card already installed on the machine.

The Dell wireless WLAN card utility is for your Dell True Mobile (14xx / 13xx) wireless PCI card which is probably already installed on your machine. Double-check your Device Manager to find out if you have a wireless card installed on your machine; if so, you will not need to use the LinkSys USB wireless adapter to connect to your residential gateway (DSL or Cable modem and or Wireless router).

Start >> Right-click My Computer >> Manage
OR
Start >> Run >> Devmgmt.msc

You want to check the Network Adapters to see what devices show up. You should see at least one device here (i.e. Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller, Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card), but most likely there is more than one network adapter installed. I would imagine that you have a LAN adapter and a WiFi adapter already installed on the machine. The LAN adapter would be hardline connection (which you are probably not using; the WiFi adapter would correspond to the Dell wireless WLAN.

If there are any items listed in the Device Manager window that appear with a yellow circle and a white question mark inside, that indicates a device that is present but there are no drivers installed for that device - what we're concerned with finding is any Dell TrueMobile WLAN device for which no drivers are present. If there is no WLAN device installed and there are no WLAN adapters that show up in the Network Adapters node, you do not need the Dell Wireless WLAN card utility - you can remove that utility from your system so that it does not consume memory or CPU resources when the hardware is not present.

You can also check to see what network adapters you have installed on your machine by checking your Network Connections applet.

Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections
Start >> Connect To >> Show All Connections

You should see a Section named "LAN or High-Speed Internet" and the network adapters / connections should be listed below. There should be a "Local Area Connection", if there is no hardline plugged into the machine, the Status column should indicate "Not connected". If there is a WiFi card installed, you should also see "Wireless Network Connection", the Device Name column will tell you what type of device it is (i.e. Dell TrueMobile 14xx Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI card).

Check into that and respond back with further details. If you can take a snapshot (use the Print Screen button on your keyboard and paste the image into a MS Word document) of your Device Manager, that would give a better visual of your system setup.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...

#11 justjeena

justjeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:32 AM

Cyb3r Ninj@.......WOW!!!!!

There is a bunch of stuff listed and I have NO clue how or when it got there....... I printed it to a word doc. but couldn't upload it, hence the copy and paste technique...... it never fails. Looks like a have quite a bit of uninstalling to do, but I have NO idea what, how, or where to start. HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
Jeena

*DISABLED DEVICE* Class: Network adapters Device: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller No resources used. Device Drivers: *DISABLED DEVICE* Class: Network adapters Device: Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: WAN Miniport (L2TP) No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: WAN Miniport (IP) No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: WAN Miniport (PPPOE) No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: WAN Miniport (PPTP) No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: BUFFALO WLI-U2-KG125S Wireless No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: BUFFALO WLI-U2-KG125S Wireless LAN Adapter
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Packet Scheduler Miniport #7 No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Motorola SURFboard SB5101 USB Cable Modem
No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Direct Parallel No resources used. Device Drivers: Class: Network adapters Device: Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with
No resources used. Device Drivers: *DISABLED DEVICE* Class: Network adapters Device: 1394 Net Adapter No resources used. Device Drivers: *DISABLED DEVICE* Class: Network adapters Device: Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver No resources used. Device Drivers:

#12 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

Hi again:

I hope i am helping more than i am confusing you.

Your last post listed numerous device and driver information, not sure if all these devices are necessary for your system - it appears that you have multiple network adapters that were at one time installed, but may not currently be installed.

I don't want you to delete anything yet, as we might not be able to restore the settings after deletion.

But if you can give me the following information, i'll run a query to find out what the factory specifications for that make/model computer were and by process of elimination we can determine what you will want to keep and what we can delete.

Please provide me with the following info:
Manfacturer
Model

If there were any additional hardware devices (other than the USB WiFi adapter) that were installed not conforming to factory specifications, that would help too (i.e. replaced hard drive, replaced RAM, etc.). Its possible that the IRQ BSoD (blue screen of death - this is where the stop errors are posted) could be related to a memory upgrade that isn't compatible with the motherboard.

I'll run a few google queries and see what other ideas we can come up with.

#13 justjeena

justjeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:10 AM

Yup, I'm confused!!!!!
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505...... The way it is, is the way it was given to me. I was told that it didn't have built in wireless capability..... I added lynksis usb adapter, but other than that I couldn't tell you what hardware devices if any have been added. And all of those network adapters were not showing until I clicked on show hidden... Dell wireless 1500, Compact wireless, bluetooth LAN, Broadcom440x10/100, and 1394 Net adapter were and are showing(unless I click show hidden devices under view)
Jeena

Edited by justjeena, 17 November 2007 - 07:07 AM.

#14 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hello again:

OK, go ahead and go back to the Device Manager (Start >> Right-click My Computer >> Manage OR Start >> Run >> devmgmt.msc) and uncheck the option for "Show hidden devices"). We are not interested in the Hidden devices because they probably pertain to protocols and devices that are used for higher-level programming and just are going to be confusing to look at. Put them out of sight and therefore out of mind.

The Dell wireless 1500 adapter is a valid WLAN (wireless LAN) and that should allow you to access the internet via your wireless router or residential gateway. I did a quick google for that device and checked on Dell's support website to verify that this is indeed a WLAN card. In fact, the Dell 1500 WLAN is actually a stronger device than the Linksys USB adapter because it utilizes the 802.11n protocol, which gives you stronger signal and greater range than the Linksys which is most likely 802.11g protocol.

The BSoD and STOP error that you are receiving is telling me that Windows XP is having a problem utilizing the driver for the Linksys device properly and hence is causing your system to crash - as well as any number of other compatibility problems. I would suggest abandoning use of the Linksys USB device for the time being because it may lead to further damage to your hard drive or motherboard rendering your laptop completely inoperable - and we don't want that.

I'm guessing here, but pretty certain that there are multiple updates to Windows XP which need to be applied in order to get the device driver for the Linksys adapter working properly, the BSoD (blue screen of death + STOP error) means that Windows XP is having a hard time performing with stability and safely, this may be due to the lack of updates which need to be applied. Most notably, there is an HCL that Windows utilizes in order to take advantage of the Plug n Play capabilities built into the OS. The HCL is the hardware compatibility listing which aids the OS in applying device drivers for USB and other PnP devices. Updating Windows XP may help to alleviate the BSoD + STOP error problems. But what we want to avoid is future crashes caused by the device driver incompatibilities to prevent further damages.

I would suggest that you access the following link to look up the most recent driver releases specific to your laptop:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Now, i know you are probably thinking, "you jackass, how the hell am i supposed to get there when i can't even connect to my wireless router or residential gateway". Use the link from another computer, borrow one, steal one, lease one, whatever option is available. OR, use an Ethernet cable to connect directly from your LAN cable port to the wireless router or residential gateway, thus creating a "wired" LAN in your home so you can access the internet. OR download the drivers onto a USB flash drive (probably will need one at least 1GB or larger) and then install them onto your laptop.

Another quick way to get to the drivers downloads which will be specific to your computer model is to use:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/

You should be able to use the Service Tag that is listed at the bottom of the laptop which will be paired with an Express Service Code. The link above should allow you to enter the Service Tag #, the Operating system (Windows XP), the Model # (although you probably will only need to enter the Service Tag) - which will pull up all downloadable drivers which apply specifically to your system and configuration.

If at all possible, the quickest way to get to these drivers is to obtain the original Drivers and Utilities CD-ROMs that came with the system. There is an option when you load this CD-ROM to choose drivers and utilities which are specific to "My System".

Download and install all the drivers that you can find that apply to your system. I would copy them to a USB drive and then burn all of them to a CD-ROM for safe keeping - and don't lose the CD-ROM, in case for any reason you have to reinstall the devices at a later time.

But i am pretty sure that the BSoD you are receiving is due to the fact that the Windows XP HCL is not up to date and therefore it is having compatibilty issues when attempting to use PnP to install the appropriate drivers for the Linksys USB WLAN device. These BSoD STOP errors can potentially lead to hard drive or motherboard failures, and again, we want to avoid damaging your system and get it to a usable state again.

I wish you the best of luck; remember this is all a learning experience and it is only frustrating and enraging the first time around...once you get back up and running, you will feel like a genius i guarantee you. Happy hacking! Shoot me an email or repost if you have any other questions.

If you really run into problems, post the Service tag and i can look up the device drivers you will need as well as the system specifications and possibly can download them for you and put them into a WinZip archive that can be emailed.

-dr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users