Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Make Files No Longer Avalible Offline?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

For some reason all the files in all my network drives decided to make themselves avalible offline. There were some pretty big files and i don't want them to eat up all my disk space but the "make avalible offline" box (when you right click on the drive) is checked and greyed out. How do I make the files unavalible offline so I can get my space back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196646

Anytime XP is not behaving as it should, the cause can always be file corruption. One way to deal with such would be to run sfc /scannow, which replaces missing/corrupt system files.

And, of course, a simple running of chkdsk may correct minor things in XP.

Louis

#3 blakethornton

blakethornton

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...flinefiles.mspx

Specifically talks about offline file folders...

You can mark folders (I believe by right clicking them, and properties?) to not cache for offline.

You can also disable the service entirely.

To delete the entire offline cache there is some trickery where by you hold down alt+shift+ctrl or something and click delete offline files (from within offline file folders settings)

Also, the reason the check box is greyed out is likely due to group policy being applied to your computer... is this a folder that pertains to your profile?

Edited by blakethornton, 12 November 2007 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

You can turn off the Offline Files feature in any Explorer window or by going to the Offline Files tab from the Folder Options applet.

| Start >> My Computer >> Tools >> Folder Options >> Offline Files tab >> uncheck box for Enable Offline Files |

-OR-

| Start >> Control Panel >> Folder Options >> Offline Files tab >> uncheck box for Enable Offline Files |

Test it out and see if that doesn't help.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 30 November 2007 - 12:01 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#5 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

To delete the files and disable offline files, you need to follow Cyb3r_Ninj's instructions, BUT:
Before you uncheck the Enable Offline Files box, you need to hold down CTRL+SHIFT and click delete files.
Your computer then needs to reboot.
Follow Cyb2r_Ninj's instructions again
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#6 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the assist on this one tswsl1989!
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:13 AM

Your Welcome :thumbsup:

BTW, if this is a computer conencted to a domain, then the offline files issue may be due to a group policy restriction set by your network manager. You might want to check with them as well if that's the case
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users