Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

O and O defrag

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 goku65

goku65

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

anyone familiar with o and o defrag my friend had an extra license so i bought it off of him. ive used the demo version before on other computers i have tried this a couple times now and it will get to 50% and then stop any ideas i have it registered as the main defrag tool i really need to get this defragged as i am at 59% fragmented any ideas would greatly help i have tried auslogic and defragler they seem to hang also please any help would be greatful

{Mod edit:Split to new topic in All Apps~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 11 November 2007 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Forgot this found a few reviews HERE
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

O&O is GREAT!

I would refuse to live without it, even if I could :thumbsup:
I have it running on my rig, but it is expensive even though it's better than Diskeeper at the same price.

You can defrag different drives at once, you can have it to defrag in the backgound either light or heavy and it seems that it gives better results compared to Diskeeper, Windows Defrag and Winoptimizer 4.
Good piece of software that I have never had any problems with. Love it.

Edited by DVtriple6, 11 November 2007 - 06:56 PM.

Posted Image

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

Copied from link below. More info available in the link.
http://www.toejumper.net/maintain4/defrag4.htm

Keep in mind that you need to have at least fifteen percent free space on your hard drive for Defrag to run properly, otherwise it will only partially defragment your hard drive.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes Defrag hangs, continuing to restart without ever reaching completion. There are numerous reasons why Defrag does this. First, make sure you give it plenty of time to get its job done. It's not unusual for Defrag to seemingly hang around the 10% mark; what it's really doing is figuring out how to reorganize your files and data clusters. If it really does hang, it'll present you with a message something like, "Defrag has been forced to restart 10 times or more...." and give you the option to restart again or cancel. If this happens, run ScanDisk in Thorough mode to ensure that the disk is problem-free (you may need to close Windows and run it from the DOS prompt if ScanDisk, too, hangs -- restart your PC in DOS mode and enter SCANDISK at the C: prompt. Make sure no other programs are running while Defrag is doing its thing -- press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task Manager, and click "End Task" for all unnecessary programs (i.e. everything except Explorer and Systray). Disable your screen saver. Finally, clear some of the deadwood from your hard drive; Defrag can work more efficiently without a drive full of clutter and crap. If none of this works, Defrag isn't up to the job of handling your rubbish heap of a hard drive. Try one of the major utilities programs instead, or call for help.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run ScanDisk (see above) before running Defrag, to check your file system for errors which could turn perfectly good material into "lost clusters."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expect Defrag to take a good while, especially if your drive is heavily fragmented. Take your much-neglected sweetie to dinner, and disable the screen saver before you go. If it seems to hang, leave it alone for a while -- it is probably working on a particularly fragmented section of hard drive and while it seems to have locked, it is actually busy. (One way to tell is to look at the disk-activity light on your computer. If there is hard disk activity, the light will be on, at least intermittently.) Premature shutdown of Defrag can zap your whole file structure. Hands off for at least an hour. Go to dinner, come back, and if it's still hung, then and only then shut it down.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

i let it sit overmnight from 11pm thru 130 in the afternoon. i have tried this several times with some different settings any ideas??? on that

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

How much free space do you have? As was previously mentioned you need to have enough free space to be able to run the defrag.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:30 AM

i have 800 gigs left atm

#8 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:28 AM

no i have 800 gigs as in 8/10th of a terrabyte i am very familiar with computers and have used this tool before but cannot seem to get it to work ran it last night with windows xp sp2 compatability and hung up at 40% no explination. I have also clicked the button run keeping in mind of windows.ini format or something like that im not at the computer it was an option for xp or higher. i got the computer on monday just got everything setup with my apps and now im at 76.3% fragmented and it gets hung up on 40% i have tried the other tools to no prevail. With compatability and running as admin. nothing works im really bummed. any ideas at all????

#9 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

i got a pm saying if i posted the specs it could help
Im running vista premium
2.4 ghz quad core.
3 gig ram
1 8800 gt oc card
2x500 hds 1 with nothing on the other with 180 gigs
dont know motherboard as it came with the computer its a gateway.
if any other info needed to help let me know

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:47 AM

What model is the Gateway?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

gm5632e

#12 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

i beleive ive figured it out i was reading on o and o's user manual something about the firewall needing to make an exception to there software so it can defrag or something like that its on page 51 of this pdf http://www.oo-software.com/en/docs/usersguide/oodv10pro.pdf
So i will try this when i get home. they make a mention to this on the faq #27 here http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/faq/ it says for xp serv. pack 2 but i think it may be doing this for vista also i will keep you updated when i get home

#13 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

so i tried that but still not working ive emailed o an o so lets see what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users