Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Computer Issue;black Screen, Keyboard Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kathi

kathi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

OK...here we go....my HUSBAND has his own computer - for reasons you will soon understand. The fan was making some noise, so long story short he decided to replace the fan, which then led to him needing a new power supply , which then wouldn't fit the case so he felt he needed a new case. Then, he disassembled and try to reassemble everthing in the new case. When he tried to turn it on , nothing. He plugged his old power supply into it and it started - as far as fan running, etc. He then came to the conclusion that he new power supply wasn't compatable with the motherboard or something to that effect so decided just to put his computer back together. When he then went to boot his computer, he gets a black screen with a blinking curser in the upper left corner. When I try to use an F key, I get an error message saying the keyboard is basically not working, and at that point it says "boot menu" or "system menu" in bottom right, depending on which F key I hit. But thats as far as you get. What has he done and is there anyway at all to actually FIX it?! *sigh* Now do you see why he has his own computer?! Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

"at that point it says "boot menu" or "system menu" in bottom right, depending on which F key I hit."

So the keyboard is working? Right? Check the connector for bent pins.
When you first turn it on do you hear a single POST BEEP? Make sure all the connections are seated properly
What is the make and model of this computer?
Mark
PS Don't let him use yours
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kathi

kathi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

It does beep, no bent pins that i can see. The keyboard lights up when you hit the cap button, so it is obviously connected, and I get the error message when hitting the F key...but it gives me a keyboard error message ...its Compaq Presario 5000.

PS
Yes, I've already made it very clear that he is to remain a minimum of 10 feet away from my computer at all times.

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

I'd concur, check the pins, and make sure all the proper power cables are connected to the motherboard, video card, hard drives, optical drives.
if that does not do anything, I'll need more info about the hardware involved.
the 1st being the serial number and/or exact mdoel number. the series of system is 5000, but there are many different models.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 11 November 2007 - 04:50 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

Well...the black screen is easy.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

FWIW: I've not heard of a new power supply being inferior to an older one and I suspect that all the connections were not properly made, thus accounting for the seeming failure.

Louis

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

if it's a older compaq, he may have plugged in the mains backwards or something, hard to tell without seeing all the stuff he did.

I am glad it's working now.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 11 November 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#7 kathi

kathi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Alright, here's where we're at! I had him check all of the connections to make sure everything was hooked up correctly and it appears as though he had one connection plugged into the wrong thing. SO..when we booted it up this time, we were able to hit F10 and get into the system setup and I'm pretty lost here. One thing I did notice is in the Bootup sequence section, it has the CD rom first, floppy second, USB port third, harddrive fourth and ethernet fifth - is that right?! What else am I looking for or do I need to do? If it helps, the label on the front of the computer has the following information:

5SPXE1
s/n 9150BBXZK349

What next?!

Kathi

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

it should be CD, USB, HDD, Floppy. do not use the ethernet option.

you got it up and running, that's all that matters, good luck.

#9 kathi

kathi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:50 PM

We're up and running - thanks so much!

Kathi

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

wish we could have done more, you deserve the thanks kathi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users