Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remembrance/Veterans Day

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

Posted Image

And so I say thanks to all my brother veterans.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joe_Brett

Joe_Brett

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

R.I.P To all who Died!

Never Forgotten
B R A D F O R D C I T Y A F C

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

The following was signed on November 11th, 1954:

Whereas it has long been our customs to commemorate November 11, the anniversary of the ending of World War I, by paying tribute to the heroes of that tragic struggle and by rededicating ourselves to the cause of peace; and

Whereas in the intervening years the United States has been involved in two other great military conflicts, which have added millions of veterans living and dead to the honor rolls of this Nation; and

Whereas the Congress passed a concurrent resolution on June 4, 1926 (44 Stat. 1982), calling for the observance of November 11 with appropriate ceremonies, and later provided in an act approved May 13, 1938 (52 Stat. 351), that the eleventh of November should be a legal holiday and should be known as Armistice Day; and

Whereas, in order to expand the significance of that commemoration and in order that a grateful Nation might pay appropriate homage to the veterans of all its wars who have contributed so much to the preservation of this Nation, the Congress, by an act approved June 1, 1954 (68 Stat. 168), changed the name of the holiday to Veterans Day:

Now, Therefore, I, Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the United States of America, do hereby call upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954, as Veterans Day. On that day let us solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us reconsecrate ourselves to the task of promoting an enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain.

I also direct the appropriate officials of the Government to arrange for the display of the flag of the United States on all public buildings on Veterans Day.

In order to insure proper and widespread observance of this anniversary, all veterans, all veterans' organizations, and the entire citizenry will wish to wish to join hands in the common purpose.

Toward this end, I am designating the Administrator of Veterans' Affairs as Chairman of a Veterans Day National Committee, which shall include such other persons as the Chairman may select, and which will coordinate at the national level necessary planning for the observance. I am also requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the Executive branch of the Government to assist the National Committee in every way possible.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and cause the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington this eighth day of October in the Year of our Lord nineteen hundred and fifty-four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and seventy-ninth.

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER

SOURCE

Let us remember that Veterans day was created to honor all veterans, living, fallen, those currently serving and those whom have already served, those wounded and those helping the wounded-all fighting or have fought for our freedom.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

To all those who served before me,

with me,

and after me,

I salute you.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

Some were dads
Most were kids
Now, some are sisters
Yet they all were brothers

Did it for you
And did it for we
Did it for Mom
And all did their duty

Some don't come back
Some do different
Most are OK
Tho' all have memories

I remember you all
Tip my hat and salute
Find the cost of freedom
Hold it tight and close

A momma will cry
Today for her child
I'll thank God I'm alive
You thank whoever you can

boopme 11/11/07

BTW Happy Birthday USMC, 232 years yesterday
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

We must never forget the sacrifice of those who have died in battle.
Nor should ever ever forget those who still live among us.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

My sincerest Thanks and Gratitude to those who served before, with, and after me . Take care and God Bless. Semper Fi !!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:48 AM

Thanks to all those who served, are serving, and will serve.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users