Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Data/files After System Restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 micksurg

micksurg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

PLEASE HELP. I accidentally did a full system restore from the discs I had created for my pc running xp home, and everything on my computer seems to be gone now. There is one word document that i really really need. How can I get it back?? THANKS A TON IF THERE IS ANY WAY TO HELP!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hi micksurg, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

If you reformatted the drive, then things are going to be difficult. However it is possible that the file has simply been "misplaced" and is alive and well somewhere on your hard drive. Have you performed a search (Start->Search) for the file?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:08 AM

You could try using PC Inspector to see if it can recover the files.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 micksurg

micksurg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

Thanks to all. I think I did format the drive - all data and post factory apps are gone, and searching did not help. Will PC Inspector or anything still possibly work?? I am desperate for any solution, but one that wont cost me hundreds of dollars, like the quote I got when I phoned someone, would be awesome.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

There is a possibility that PCInspector will be able to recognize the file - but it's not (IMO) likely.

The most important thing right now is to stop using the PC. If the file is located in an area that currently doesn't have data written to it, then there's a chance that it can be recovered. Each time that you use the PC, Windows writes stuff to the disk - so using it will degrade the chances of recovering it.

Here's a link on how to do a data recovery: http://www.runtime.org/datarecovery.htm
If you're able to locate the data using this method, you can either buy their software (it's very good IMO - I've purchased it for my use) or you can try the above procedure using PCInspector
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users