Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bolt_fan_n_indy

bolt_fan_n_indy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

Hello all I am very new to the forum and am in real need of expert help. I am no computer idiot by normal standards but I also am no computer wizard either. I have read some post here and this seems like the best place to turn for help. I have a friends presario v2000 notebook that will not boot unless in safe mode. Everything works great in safe mode accept pictures on websites do not load properly(minor problem). The major problem is the comp. will boot to the task bar and will NOT show desktop icons. When I click start the menu pulls up and then the computer is frozen. Please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

First I wold try a system restore point
http://www.microsoft.com
Do they have the system disks that came with the laptop, or a XP CD?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bolt_fan_n_indy

bolt_fan_n_indy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

I have tried a last restore point and got same results. I do not nor does my friend have the system disk that came with the computer. I do not have an XP disc and it was said I should call hp and buy a restore disc, I dunno if I should go that far yet? It is puzzling because the system runs normally in safe mode, I can do anything I want ie... internet, download etc... :thumbsup:

Edited by bolt_fan_n_indy, 11 November 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#4 bolt_fan_n_indy

bolt_fan_n_indy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

When I goto system restore the inly option it gives me is to restore my computer to an earlier time. I then click next and there are no restore points avail?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:43 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer and see what shows up.
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 bolt_fan_n_indy

bolt_fan_n_indy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

I can get to the viewer but have really no idea what I am looking at or for. I found many errors in every catagory. Application, Security & System.

One in the application says:

Version: 5.0
Component: Application event log
Symbolic Name: LDPRFMSG_UNLOAD_FAILURE

Then it says something about rebuilding the string tables?

System Errors are mainly list the source as: Service Control Manager Errors 7000, 7023, 7026

7026 says: Vsa29 boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load.

I know it is bad but it is all greek to me. I don't really know what to do next! :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

I would try running chkdsk on the boot partition and then running defrag.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

#8 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

I agree:

Start >> Run >> cmd.exe

Type chkdsk /f/r and press [Enter].

The check disk command and repair routine will run after rebooting the system. It may take 30-90 minutes to run the check disk routine - depending on how fast your processor is and how large the hard drive is.

Once that is completed i restart the computer and hit F8 at the POST screen to bring up the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen. Try to select Start Windows Normally and see if it will boot windows normally.

If you are able to boot Windows normally, run Disk Defragmenter. Scan your disks with any AntiVirus software that you might have loaded on your PC.

If there is a diagnostics utility or diagnostics disk available, try running those to verify there aren't any other hardware devices that might be preventing your system from booting normally.

Good luck and happy hacking!

-dr
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users