Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An Updating/upgrading Xp Query

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

I will start with this info and see where this gets to

I have acquired an XP computer with SP2 on it from a friend ; I have the XP disc and license code (all originals and legit!)
The computer is very sluggish and even running a simple adaware scan chalks up the CPU to 100% and it freezes

I guess I will probably ultimately need a reliable useable XP machine so....

I am advised by my computer techy friend that the computer needs an ‘update/upgrade’ including a new motherboard and a dam site more memory for it to function remotely efficiently like an XP machine ought to

I do not wish to spend unnecessary money; and I will NOT be going under the covers to fiddle with things as I am NOT tecky minded

Demonstrating my complete ignorance in these matters, if the mother board has to be replaced does that mean that the XP has to be reinstalled? If it DOES, I presume that the XP disc that came with the computer can be used again ?

Are licence keys ‘registered’ under specific user’s names? The comp DOES update successfully from the Microsoft site so was validated by its original owner but will that have to be transferred to me and if so ?how?

thanks in anticipation of useful guidance :thumbsup:
what options are open to/for me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

With major hardware changes, usually a call to Microsoft will get things straightened out. You have the computer with the key and the CD I'm not sure if you not being the original owner would be a wrench in the works. Over time Xp can get sluggish but can be fixed by a fresh reformat and install. It should run on 512MB of RAM, although not blazing fast. What is the make and model of the computer or if custom built, the make and model of the motherboard?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

I believe it has 512MB of Ram

I think it has been upgraded from win 98 ; does that affect anything?

I suspect I will have to boot it up to answer this?

What is the make and model of the computer or if custom built, the make and model of the motherboard

my computer friend did take a peek inside it and passed comment that the memory slots on the motherboard are of a very old variety ; this does not bode well for me , does it?

I got the impression that it needs to be ??rebuilt?and updated software ( and hardware) wise ? if so; could the XP cd I have be used for this purpose?

I am sorry to be so vague but I need to know what I do NOT need to/have renewed / renew on the machine nor be taken for a ride cost- wise unnecessarily

thanks for your help

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

It should run with 512. If this was upgraded to XP from 98 you will need to have the 98 key also, , if you ever choose to reinstall. Which isn't a problem as long as the computer runs, there are ways to access that. Has this computer been running? It sounds like you haven't seen it turned on. If I knew what brand the computer is I could be more helpful
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

It should run with 512. If this was upgraded to XP from 98 you will need to have the 98 key also, , if you ever choose to reinstall. Which isn't a problem as long as the computer runs, there are ways to access that. Has this computer been running? It sounds like you haven't seen it turned on. If I knew what brand the computer is I could be more helpful
Mark

I have had it running; as stated above I ran ( or tried to) the Adaware scan which froze after a few seconds with CPU at 100%
the computer WILL do a windows update but is painfully slow ; I have a horrid feeling I may need to reboot it and see how much free HDD there is ( or , as I 'work ' by , how empty the computer 'pie'is !) :thumbsup:

my intrigue is, IF I asked my computer teck to reinstall XP on it ( a task I am not willing to undertake) , would it need a new mother board as he is suggesting as his comment was that the slots ON the motherboard are of the 'old 'type indicating a very old mother board?

He SHOULD only have to put a new motherboard on it and I think a new graphics card?
ON this machine ,CAN XP be put directly on to it or MUST the previous version OF windows be installed first and if so, why?
(please :flowers: )

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

Well...has anyone done any routine XP maintenance on this fine system?

Chkdsk...defrag...sfc /scannow if needed...etc.

While you're on the subject...how about some specs on this system? If manufactured by big OEM (Dell, Gateway, etc.), how about a manufacturer and model?

Also...size of hard drive, free space available on hard drive.

Maybe those things will help someone to help you.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:49 AM

It sounds like you don't trust your tech friend all that much. XP should install on that machine with no problems. In fact I recommend it, instead of starting out with other people junk on it. I wouldn't worry about a graphics card until the need arises. Exactly what are his reasons or concerns about the memory slots? As long as the old memory works. Of course it might be maxed out and you won't be able to add more. I'd be more concerned about the processor
If it's THAT old, you'll need a motherboard, memory,CPU and most likely a better heatsink and fan. Then if you want a good graphics card you'll have to address the power supply issue. In other words, if you plans for this computer is everyday stuff like email and surfing the net it will do OK
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

I It sounds like you don't trust your tech friend all that much.

XP should install on that machine with no problems. In fact I recommend it, instead of starting out with other people junk on it. I wouldn't worry about a graphics card until the need arises. Exactly what are his reasons or concerns about the memory slots? As long as the old memory works.

2 Of course it might be maxed out and you won't be able to add more. I'd be more concerned about the processor
If it's THAT old, you'll need a motherboard, memory,CPU and most likely a better heatsink and fan.
Then if you want a good graphics card you'll have to address the power supply issue.

3 In other words, if you plans for this computer is everyday stuff like email and surfing the net it will do OK
Mark

I I do but I do NOT wish to seek for work on it that may be unnecessary

2 it IS 'THAT old' unfortuantely

3 that is all I will probably be needing it for; it does ahve a cd burner on it whcih, needless to say, I have not yet attempted to try given its dislike of running a simple scan with adaware

MAIN question is, if he reloads XP can that be done direct with the XP disc I have and NOT to have to revert to the old win version first?

I do think he did say that is does need memory, CPU and heatsink as it IS very old and, I beleive , if memory serves, a rebuild and upgrade too

hamluis

Well...has anyone done any routine XP maintenance on this fine system?
Chkdsk...defrag...sfc /scannow if needed...etc.

I admit it is by no means a 'fine system' and , to any proficient and well-healed XP user would probably seem like a piece of junk and is desperately desperately slow running

as to the basic maintenance? I will have another bash at some ...very slowly ..as it is NOT a speedy machine

and , to hopefully state the obvious, it is NOT my main machine

again THANKS for help so far offered :thumbsup:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

I still wish we had a make and model.
Yes you can use your own XP disc as long as it isn't on another machine. It would be a benifit to have all the drivers for it before you do that, but that would require knowing the make and model
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

I have loaded it up to update it; awfully slow
XP service pack 2
it says it is a version 2002

vulcan 2000 series

intel pentium processsor 111 70Mhz

512MB Ram

it has been registered to me and updates OK

I beleive it has been modified over the years

again thanks :thumbsup:

#11 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hello Ruby:

This link will tell you exactly what the minimum hardware requirements are in order to run Windows XP on a desktop machine. Please keep in mind that these specs are bare minimum and do not guarantee that the system will run at a desired speed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/sysreqs.mspx

If you are running into system lockups with the CPU processor running above 80% of capacity, you definitely need a processor / motherboard upgrade. Simply adding memory to the equation will not produce more CPU processing cycles / power. 256MB of memory will allow the machine to run sufficiently if you are not running multiple windows simultaneously; 512MB is desired, but 1 GB is optimal. You will probably want to upgrade the processor to at least a Pentium III @ 900MHz or faster, but if you are going to shell out the cash for a new motherboard, i would opt for a Pentium 4 or Intel Core Duo processor. At any rate, you will want a processor that can run at least 1000MHz or 1.x GHz or higher.

Windows XP is a large operating system and all the networking functionality will take up 20-30% of CPU even when there are no other windows open.

Good luck and happy hacking!

-dr
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:06 AM

looks as though upgrading is needed and it is an XP Home edtion and not professional
I did some pruning within it yesterday and finally managed to run adaware but novelly spybot froze at the 'last hurdle' ( it got to about 99914 of the 99917 items it had to scan -must admit I forgot to check what the CPU was up to !!):thumbsup:

from its performance (or lack of last night)I think a rebuild is required as the processor may now be 'past its prime ' and, as stated, it is NOT a 'young' machine by any stretch of the imagination :flowers: I ran disc clean up and a few other bits but my guess is a reinstall would now not go amiss

I think I have gleaned from this that we can utilize the XP disc I have and that this can be put straight back on the machine , so it is going back on the machine it 'belongs to ' so I am at least safe on that front

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

I guess that my question is "Why do you need to upgrade the hardware?" It seems that the hardware is working properly - it's just that it's slow. While it's good to have the latest and greatest hardware - sometimes it's OK to just stick with what you've got.

Properly diagnosing the issues that are causing the slowness will let you know what's needed to make the system perform as it should. I still have people coming into my shop with XP systems with only 128 mB of RAM that work OK for the them.

Since you're considering a new system anyway, I'd suggest a format and reinstall of XP on this system so you can see what it's actually capable of. With more information (before starting the format) we'll be able to help you find the drivers needed for the system to function. I prefer this free program because it doesn't require an installer: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

I guess that my question is "Why do you need to upgrade the hardware?" It seems that the hardware is working properly - it's just that it's slow. While it's good to have the latest and greatest hardware - sometimes it's OK to just stick with what you've got.

Properly diagnosing the issues that are causing the slowness will let you know what's needed to make the system perform as it should. I still have people coming into my shop with XP systems with only 128 mB of RAM that work OK for the them.
Since you're considering a new system anyway, I'd suggest a format and reinstall of XP on this system so you can see what it's actually capable of. With more information (before starting the format) we'll be able to help you find the drivers needed for the system to function. I prefer this free program because it doesn't require an installer: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

as a rough guide for me ,If I go for a straighforward reformat and reinstallation of XP using the discs I have ,if you were charging for that , how much ought that to cost?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

IMO...it's almost criminal to charge someone to do something which he/she can easily do herself/himself.

It's pathetically easy to do a delete/format/install from the XP CD...if one can read and follow instructions which are clear and concise.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

But...if you insist on paying someone at a shop to do it, they will probably charge you 1 hour of time at the going rate these days (probably somewhere in the vicinity of $50, I imagine).

But, I've been there...I bought my first computer in Oct 96 and paid someone to reinstall Win 98 for me for almost 7 months...until one of the techs pointed out to me that it was foolish for me to do such, since I was more than capable.

Something to think about...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users