Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vertical Lines On My Monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drummerdimitri

drummerdimitri

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi guys, i accedently turned off the fan of my ati x850xe agp card while running rthdribl. Artifacts showed on the screen and i immediatly turned off my computer. When i turned it back on, i get these vertical lines in safe mode, but cant even access normal mode because the screen turnes of by itself. Even when i get the bios menu the screen is artifacted. In safe mode, i get vertical lines on my screen, but the display in between those lines is perfectly normal. So is my graphic card gone, or do i still have a chance of fixing it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

you've damaged the card, you'll have to replace it and hope that was all that was damaged.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

Does you motherboard have onboard graphics or do you have a second graphics card to try?

You have probably figured out by now that you don't want to turn off the fan, these card generate a lot of heat and need cooling to stay alive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 drummerdimitri

drummerdimitri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:55 AM

Well im am currently using an older graphic card and it works fine so i guess the graphic card is messed up, but can it be a software problem or the graphic card bios that might be corupted?

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

nope, you physically damaged the card. nothing to do but get another.

#6 drummerdimitri

drummerdimitri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

Thanks guys, i will get myself a new agp card and i will not play around with it anymore!

#7 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

good luck, and thank you for letting us help.

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

Thanks guys, i will get myself a new agp card and i will not play around with it anymore!

In not so many words, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", however you don't learn anything this way! Best of luck!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users