Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A BIG MESS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:51 PM

I am flat worn out. I thought after a couple of years I could more or less navigate this windows 98SE, but I find that when I get things out of whack, I start doing things in desperation which only makes things worse.

This episode started due to my usual daily maintenance routine before using the computer. I deleted the temp files, history and did a scan. Then I went to control panel and went into add/remove programs. I next clicked on internet explorer and then clicked add/remove button. This brings up a choice between "add" or "repair". I choose repair...and it starts to do its thing to fix up the browser. Only this time I get a message, "internet explorer 6 could not be repaired. Please run set up again to reinstall all components". I put in the juno disc and clicked "install browser only". I went back to repeat previous scenario...but got the same message. I even ran a set up for IE per a file in "my documents" folder. It went through the steps to install. But once again, same old message.

I then sought help from the help menu on desktop. It seemed to indicate that I should uninstall the IE and THEN reinstall. I deleted IE from desktop and went back to the add/remove in control panel but it doesnt offer a way to uninstall IE, and the button to "restore"(after clicking add/remove) is blanked out. I went to microsoft update window and still didnt see a button to uninstall that IE. Finally, I thought I would just try to restore from an old backup. I might have made things worse since Im not sure I did that backup correctly. Anyway, still the same message from the control panel.

Oh yes, I did run the win 98SE disk again.... twice. Didnt fix anything. Then while I was thinking of a solution , I thought I might have added to much junk files from that backup effort so I went to "start" ;R clicked "explore", and started down that list to get rid of anything that looked like an unneccessary file. But couldnt tell what was essential stuff from junk files so I figured it best to forget that idea.

Can someone lead me to a solution and answers about what is going on.

By the way, when I do try to click on any of the "favorites" file I get a message, "windows cannot find IEXPLORE.EXE...so they wont open. Also, when I did try to run that setup/ reinstall from that "my documents folder", it ran the program but gave me a message, "the current version of IE installed on the computer is up to date. do not need to upgrade at this time"???

So, the mystery is if IE program has vanished from desktop list of programs and cant be repaired...it must still be in the computer or else I couldnt have made this online connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, if you have an answer on how to recognize and delete any and all junk files that are unneccessary, let me know this also.

Your help is greatly valued

Buddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 papertowel

papertowel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:37 AM

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
|MG| Free Download - CCleaner 1.17.90

good reliable cleaner also has a registry cleaner

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
Spread Firefox - Igniting the web

IE is old, obsolete,full of holes and a spyware magnet.Lock it up,firefox is free fast,safe,secure.spyware can not get installed,built in pop up blocker.numerous add ons available including adblock,rss reader extensions

I had tried to repair IE 3 months ago and it screwed up,have'nt used it since.IE is part of the operating system it can't be uninstalled, so i put security settings on high and ignore it

Edited by papertowel, 18 February 2005 - 08:56 AM.

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hey there Buddy. That sure does sound like a mess. Do you use any sort of ad ware killer like Ad-aware or Spybot search and destroy? If not you should download and install them if you can. Here are some links for you...

Sybot Seach and Destroy tutorial

The first link will explain how to use spybot S&D to clean up your computer. Please read this tutorial. You will find a link to download Spybot S&D within.

This next link is for Ad-Aware. Please read this tutorial to find any spyware that Ad-aware misses. You will find a download link within the tutorial here. Ad-Aware SE Tutorial

If you are not able to do anything it would be a good idea to post a hijackThis Log.
Read this tutorial for HjT...

HijackThis! tutorial

I hope this helps you out. If you cannot use your IE at all to downoad these applications.. you may want to try another browser like Firefox as stated by paperghost.

Edited by Pandy, 18 February 2005 - 09:02 AM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

I agree with papertowel. Ccleaner is a great program to use to clean up your computer.

If you still want to use IE there are a couple of things you can do. Go to Start>Find>Files and folders and do a search for iexplore.exe. It is in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer. When you find it right click on it and drag it to your desktop. Let go and select create shortcut here. That will give you access to IE again. Despite the benefits of other browsers it is still the only way to access Windows Updates to get critical updates needed when reinstalling 98 or when new ones are released like what happened last week.

Go to this site or this site and follow the instructions to download IE6 SP1 to your hard drive. This is a big download so it will take a long time on dialup (about 24MB). When its done go to the folder where you downloaded it to and double click ie6setup.exe. If you see a screen that says it is already installed you should have the option to reinstall it anyway. If you don't have IE6 SP1 now it should run ok. You can tell what version you have by opening IE and going to Help>About Internet Explorer from within IE.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

Damn, I feel like I died and went to hell. Hours now spent on this computer mess.
So, OK, I ran the spybot again. It got rid of a bunch of critters. I ran the ad-aware again. It got rid of more critters. I ,then, went to that one site recommended and tried to run "bleep cleaner". Got a message,"limited to repair of first 6 sections"...but it wouldnt run anyway. Downloaded the registry mechanic and got a free SCAN . It found around 700 "problems". I tried to tell it to fix them...but it then wanted payment. I clicked the pay button but my fouled up IE came back with the same small window stating "Windows cannot find blank.exe". Next ,I tried to go to sites rec by last helper to download IE6 into download folder. It refused to run the IE download. Of course, in anticipation of that download, I went ahead and deleted any old IEs from program files and my document files.(this was probablly big mistake). I decided to go to firefox and load that browser. The home page was full of how great they are BUT NOT A SINGLE DAMN BUTTON TO BE FOUND THAT SAID DOWNLOAD. Someone needs to redesign their webpage. Anyway , I had to register and it will probably take some time to get e-mail(assuming that still works) . I am left with only solution of dynamite.

Any other wisdom?

#6 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:09 AM

I forgot to mention that yesterday I tried to download a cleaner reported to be among the best called "pal registry cleaner". That time I got message,"Run-time error 430" and "class does not support automation, or does not support interface".Also "this feature requires OKB on your hard drive." I give up

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:12 AM

Never heard of that error with Ccleaner, looks like your breaking new ground here.

If you can get to Windows update you can get an IE upgrade there. Although your comment about blank.exe leads me to think you have a hijacker on there, so you should run HiJack This and post a log. If you can't get there on that machine you can put it on a floppy from another computer.

Reboot into safe mode and try spybot and adaware again. Also try running Ccleaner first while your in there. You can also go to a command prompt only and run scanreg /fix to clean up the registry.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users