Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows98 Install On Emach T3624

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:31 AM

Hi, I'm trying to install windows98 on an emachine t3624 and every time it gets to the first reboot during the install, the "starting windows for the first time" screen shows for about 1 second and then the computer reboots. I've tried going through the install several times and the same thing happens. I've never run into this before, any ideas on what could be going on? The computer is just the way it came from the store except I put 1 gig ram in, which was perfectly fine when I had XP on the drive. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

98 doesnt like that much RAM

You can eiher put the old ram back in or try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184447/en-us
or this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253912/en-us
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:14 AM

Thanks Eyesee, I didn't know that. I guess I'll pull the ram and see what happens. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:35 PM

Remember, back when 98 released 1 gig of ram was unheard of!
If you have 2 512 sticks in there, pull one of them
I have 512 on my 98 rig & it works great!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:48 AM

Well I pulled the ram, it's a 1 gig stick, and loaded up 98, that didn't go well, but I was able to upgrade to ME. Unfortunately, the computer is too new for 98. I looked all over the net for drivers for the video, sound and ethernet but all I could find was for XP. So I put in a old Diamond 3d video card and got the message that if I could read this then windows successfully loaded my video card. But that was all I could get. No windows, nothing. I finally gave up and put the restore disks in and now it's back to XP. I guess I'll just have to figure out what's wrong with an old IBM laptop and get it working so I can find out what's on some old CD's. :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users