Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Freezes At Startup

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 hxm

hxm

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:41 AM

i can't even go to BIOS setup and also at safe mode...

what seems to be the problem? is it the RAM? the HARDdisk? or the PROCESSOR?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

Is this a new build? Have you changed anything lately? Please list the type of computer you are using be specific about the motherboard, processor, ram, video card on board or expansion, and the number of fans currently installed in the case. If this is a pre-built computer please list the make and model number. Also include the Dell service tag number if its a dell.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hxm

hxm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

actually, i had reformatted my PC because of its slow down and sometimes it freezes at the Windows Logo startup, after reformat, theres still a problem on slow down of my PC, after a few weeks, my PC freezes now during the startup..

i'll post some details later..

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

I'll need the followng info, please.

Motherboard Manufacturer with Model and BIOS Revision:
CPU Manufacturer and Model:
RAM Manufacturer and Model:
HDD(s): Manufacturer and Model:
PSU Manufacturer and Model:
Video Card: Manufacturer and Model:

#5 hxm

hxm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

Motherboard Manufacturer with Model and BIOS Revision:
CPU Manufacturer and Model:
RAM Manufacturer and Model:
HDD(s): Manufacturer and Model: WESTERN DIGITAL: 80GB
PSU Manufacturer and Model:
Video Card: Manufacturer and Model:

The processor is Intel Celeron 3.1Ghz

i have a question, if we tr to disconnect the harddisk from the CPU, and we turn on the computer, can we access the CMOS setup without any Harddisk inside the PC?

i tried to disconnect the harddisk, then when turning on the PC, theres a beeping sound in my PC, and there's no display on the monitor, what do you think?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

I dunno.. I think the first thing I would want to know is the OS, followed by if there were any error messages. Or when you say freeze, do you mean completely locks up, or just hesitates for a long time before continuing? Without the right information, all you are going to get is bad advice.

i tried to disconnect the harddisk, then when turning on the PC, theres a beeping sound in my PC, and there's no display on the monitor, what do you think?

Just a long shot here, but you don't suppose that the beeping sound is trying to tell you that it can't find your hard drive? What did you expect to happen?

can we access the CMOS setup without any Harddisk inside the PC

A CMOS has nothing to do with the hard drive...incidentally, a CMOS stands for complementary metal oxide semiconductor; it is a microcontroller.

<rant on>
I am completely astounded how, in recent weeks, people have been suggesting pulling the CMOS battery as a normal part of troubleshooting like it is some magic cure. Oh yeah, and lets not bother mentioning the dangers and necessary steps associated with reaching into a computer, like making sure it is unplugged, or making sure that you ground yourself out before touching anything in your computer.<rant off>

#7 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

well, need the info requested if I am going to be able to do any troubleshooting.

#8 hxm

hxm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

the motherboard is ms-7211 microstar

i googled it and i came across with an MSI website. http://asia.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=sear...eywords=ms-7211

the search result was this http://asia.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prod...mp;maincat_no=1

PM8M3-V

i tried to clean up the RAM of my PC, then the beeping sound was removed.

i also tried to remove the battery for CMOS and returned it, and there was no display on the monitor everytime i turn it ON, the led blinks all the time, and there's no indicator at the keyboard.

what can be the reason for all of this?

given that there is no battery for CMOS, the effect i've stated above can be expected?

the OS is windows XP professional... i tried the HDD in another PC, and there are no problems at all.

i tried to check the cables for the monitor, cleaned it up, no effect for the PC

the CPU doesn't have a Video Card,

Edited by hxm, 21 November 2007 - 12:46 AM.

#9 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:00 AM

pull ot the video card and boot it up and see it if beeps at you, if not, then the boards gone.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

I am getting a little lost on the details here. 1. Can you even log into windows at all? 2. There is a Cmos battery and you removed it? (if yes put it back in its not the problem). 3. With everything installed does it at least get to the windows XP screen? 4. When you tried the hard drive in another computer did windows load completely and operate functionally?

Edit:1 Removed correction to Roberts post

Edit: 2 I just noticed HXM edited his post after the post from Robert, So I am to assume he added the computer did not have an add on video card. HXM please in future revisions add an Edit tag so other posters can see what you changed.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 November 2007 - 05:17 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

well, since I don't know all the hardware involved and base don the fact that they can not even get it to post, I'm going to have to assume the boards DOA.

#12 hxm

hxm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

the CPU don't have any video card, the monitor is connected to a built-in video card(so i can't disconnect the VC)

upon cleaning those RAM, and tested again the PC, the beeping sound were removed and the status says that "boot failure, please insert an HDD"

actually, this is not my CPU, it's for my friend, sadly, i'm just giving her instructions on how to troubleshoot the problem(by simple cleaning of parts)

ok back to the topic: the main problem of the PC as of now is, the monitor, which does not have any display, and it's led tends to blink in repeating... there's no beeping sound at all.. this problem started when she pulled out the CMOS battery and returned it again... i have her HDD, so she can't connect it to her pc...

we are after on having a display on the monitor of the PC and to access the CMOS setup.

#13 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

okay, you said "the status says that "boot failure, please insert an HDD"", and yet it's supposedly "the monitor, which does not have any display, and it's led tends to blink in repeating". I'm confused how could it not display and yet you get a message on the screen saying to insert boot media??

#14 hxm

hxm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:38 AM

okay, you said "the status says that "boot failure, please insert an HDD"", and yet it's supposedly "the monitor, which does not have any display, and it's led tends to blink in repeating". I'm confused how could it not display and yet you get a message on the screen saying to insert boot media??

because of i'm just giving instructions to my friend...
i told her to go to CMOS settings, for me to verify that the problem is removed,

but because of she didn't ask for clarification on how to go to CMOS setup, she mistakenly thought that
in able to go to CMOS setup, she pressed F8 (as we all know, f8 is for boot menu to access safe mode)

without knowledge on what she had done, i told her to disconnect the CMOS battery and reconnect it again(because i thought that the PC can't go to CMOS setup)

upon turning the PC on, there was a display on the monitor... "boot failure....."

the PC doesn't have an HDD(because, i took the HDD for me to test it for analysis)

so she decided to RESET the PC and go to the CMOS setup..

then the problem occurred the monitor doesn't display anything, even she repeated pressing RESET button.

> today, i decided to check her CPU personally,

as i turn on the the PC, the display on the monitor returned and it says "detecting IDE drives"

i tried to go to CMOS setup by pressing DEL button, and it can't access, we waited for 10mins, then there was no change on the status display... so we decided to press the RESET button, and AGAIN the monitor doesn't display anything...

i did some testing, these are the following:

1. i removed the RAM of the PC.

result: there was no beeping sound at all, and the monitor doesn't show anything (the LED blinks on and off)

2. i removed the cables for monitor at the back of the PC, and the monitor displayed an alert icon(which indicates that the monitor is disconnected to the cpu, which it verified that the monitor is OK)

3. i changed the jumper settings of CMOS to RESET mode, and the CPU doesnt turn ON..
i returned the jumper to normal mode, then the PC turned ON.

so what do you think guys?

edit: i tried to attach the Video Card of my PC(GeForce2 mx400/64mb) to the PC of my friend, and connect the monitor on it..
still there's no display.

i also tried to exchange the CMOS batteries bet. the two PC's, no effect at all..

i also noticed that, when the AVR/PSU(external) is switched on, the PC also turns ON automatically(is this normal?)

Edited by hxm, 22 November 2007 - 06:31 AM.

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:45 AM

To answer your last question some computers are set to turn back on once power is restored so if you unplug the computer or turn off a surge protector and plug it back in or turn it back on the computer will boot. Yes this normal. Before I continue lets make one point clear it is VERY difficult to do third party trouble shooting since allot gets lost in translation by the time the information gets to the owner of the computer some vital details may have been lost and vice versa (when the information gets back to us from the owner). You should try and get the computer so you can try exactly the trouble shooting tips we are providing. We need to start back at square one. RE-install the Hard drive, Leave the Battery in the computer, Reconnect EVERYTHING and try and boot the computer. Let us know what happens. There are a few possibilities 1. The computer boots ok 2. The computer does nothing (no beeps, no display on the monitor) 3. The computer boots gets past the POST screen (screen with detecting IDE devices and memory testing) and then stops. Other things can happen too just reply with what happens.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users