Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Load Display Device Driver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 griffo

griffo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:56 AM

Hi

Hope this is the correct forum in which to post this. Please advise if incorrect.

I recently did an XP repair function on my pc to fix a small problem i was having. All went well and the problem disappeared but during the repair process when files were being restored from the original xp disk. it didn't want to re-install the driver for the display device. I have the original drivers and utilities disk so thought i would just re-install after the repair.

It won't install. It creates a progress log and points to that when it fails. Have pasted it below in case it is useful, but it means nothing to me.

Any clues?

=========== S3SETUP LOG FILE - Started at 16:20:17 on 11-11-2007 ===========
S3Setup v1.00.17-JV (1.01.13) on Win XP
bAllowReboot: TRUE
bSilentReboot: TRUE
bPromptReboot: TRUE
bPromptSilentReboot: FALSE
VendorID to find:5333
INF File Located at: D:\SVGA\VIA\KM266\Win2K-XP\ps5333.inf
Found - ven:5333 dev:8D04 ss_dev:7870 ss_ven:1462 rev:00 bus:01 devnum:00 func:00 (inVGA=1)
Enumerating Display class devices...
Display #0 has DevInst=00001BE4
Instance=PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8D04&SUBSYS_78701462&REV_00\4&82C770E&0&0008.
Found matching display.
No more displays.
Found InstID=PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8D04&SUBSYS_78701462&REV_00\4&82C770E&0&0008.
Found Mfg line: "S3.Mfg".
Description="S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR = S3Psddr, PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8D04".
'DriverVer' is 6,14,10,0010, 'DriverDate' is 04/21/2003.
Calling UpdateDriver... with PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8D04&SUBSYS_78701462&REV_00
and INF path at D:\SVGA\VIA\KM266\Win2K-XP\ps5333.inf
Started Timer window in background.
Doing copy logging.
Finished with copy logging.
UpdateDriver forced install (PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8D04&SUBSYS_78701462&REV_00) failed->-536870389.
UpdateDriver failed, returned -536870389. Cannot install.
DestroyTimerWindow OK, but no timer dialog action occurred.
-> Setup was unable to complete the installation. Check the progress log in your Windows directory for more details.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

Just making sure you're not confusing things. Display device is your monitor, pretty much plug and play. What problems are you experiencing? Go to Start>Run and type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes and select OK. Expand all the (+'s) and look for any yellow exclamation points, indicating a problem
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 griffo

griffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Problem i'm having is that the screen is loading and scrolling very slowly. I am networked in a small home office to an identical computer. When i look in device manager in that computer there is a line called 'Display adaptors' and when i expand that line i see 'S3 Pro Savage DDR'.

On my computer i don't even have the line 'Display adaptors' . S3 Pro savage DDR is what is on the drivers and utilities disk that i have that won't load and produced the log i posted.

I have tried adding new hardware thinking that the computer might see the hardware and prompt for the driver but that doesn't happen. The computer is working ok except for the slowness of the screen which i assume is something to do with the graphics setup.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

OK that's your onboard video driver. I don't think that has anything to do with loading slow and scrolling. You didn't say if you noticed any signs of errors in Device Manager so I assume there wasn't. Does this happen when you open your web browser or all the time with any application? Try looking in your Event Viewer
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 griffo

griffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Hi Mark

No errors in device manager. Happens all the time, not just with web browser. Looked in Event viewer but not sure what to look for. didn't see anything that looked relevent, but that's just to my eye of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users