Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Convert .3g2 Files To ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

Are there any free, good, file converters for .3g2 video clips taken from the phone so they can be played by, say, windows media player which everybody has. I don't even know the words to google out. I actually downloaded something, but it failed.
The files are now in the computer, not on the phone. Transferred from a microSD card.
Is the output (converted) file supposed to be wav? or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

You will find a list of 3 programs, and directions on how to convert .3GP movies into .AVI, here:
How to Convert .3GP Movies Into .AVI

Here are a couple of other programs, you might want to check out:
ImTOO 3GP

-- It supports converting various popular formats including RM, RA, 3GP, 3G2, WAV, MP3, AAC, WMA, MPG, M4A, AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, MPEG, CUE, APE, CDA and AVI to 3GP,RA, RM,AAC, M4A,XviD.
-- It supports converting 3GP video clip to AVI and MPEG, or converting AVI and MPEG to 3GP video clip and play them in Motorola, Nokia mobile phone or other software 3GP player.
-- It can also extract audio from most popular video formats and encode to MP3 and WAV file.

YASA 3GP Video Converter

- Converts VOB, AVI,DivX, WMV,MOV,ASF RM, MPEG-4 ,MPEG-2, MPEG, PSP Video, iPod Video, VCD to 3GP 3GPP.
- Supports so comprehensive video and audio files; Convert almost all digital video files (.wmv, .avi, .mov etc) into 3GP 3GPP Video.
- Extremely easy to use as few clicks.
- Variable settings and fast converting speed. Supports 16:9, 4:3, Full Screen and so on.
- High Quality 3GP 3GPP Video Output

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

Apparently this works: http://www.av2mp3.com/faq/convert-mpeg4-to-mp3.htm

As for the codec they ask for: http://www.codec-download.com/article.php?sid=279

Please tell me whether this program works or not. I would like to know for my personal notes.

Thank you, and I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Feel free to try his out first. Sounds like you would have a much easier time with them anyways.

Edited by WlkingMan, 10 November 2007 - 11:52 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

I sure don't understand much of the descriptions. To both of you, thanks, of course. Now, I just went to every link. And I have not even one mention of 3g2 conversion as source to something else (.avi does make sense to me). So I'll continue looking and hope you will help me :thumbsup:

Edited:
I just searched here harder. Yourhighness posted a link to
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
It looks like something might be there. If any of you understand any of it, please let me know what to download.

BTW you're dealing with a person who is clueless about windows media player. I don't even see a File/Open thing. The only way I've ever watched a video (which was .avi file) was double click the filename, so simple instructions will be more than appreciated.

Edited by tos226, 11 November 2007 - 01:26 PM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

.3g2 = 3GPP2 Multimedia File
.3gp = 3GPP Multimedia File

3GPP and 3GPP2 are the new worldwide standards for the creation, delivery and playback of multimedia over 3rd generation, high-speed wireless networks. Defined by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project and 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 respectively, these standards seek to provide uniform delivery of rich multimedia over newly evolved, broadband mobile networks (3rd generation networks) to the latest multimedia-enabled wireless devices. 3GPP and 3GPP2 are based on the MPEG-4 standard which was derived from Apple's QuickTime. QuickTime 6.5 includes support for key components of the 3GPP and 3GPP2 specifications.

3G2

They (.3g2,.3gp ) appear to be basically the same thing.
I'd make a copy of one of the files, try one of the programs linked to, and see if it'll work.
Nothing to lose, except a little time.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

Thanks tg1911. That puts me amillimiter closer :thumbsup:
I downloaded the Super thing - the download link is here, I include it, because it was hard to find.
http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

Scanned with AV. It installed on XP without any problems though it kept AV very busy.
I dragged 3g2 file, and it did play, full screen unfortunately. However, the options window is so full of format choices that it'll take years for me to sort it out. So it's a long way to go.

At least it didn't break my computer!

tg1911, do you think I should be aiming for QuickTime or WMP? And it looks like mp4... is what the output format should be, would that be your reading?

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

Update: I failed to get anything good because it requires high audio-video technology degree.

I downloaded QuickTime v7, checked AV, ran it. It runs 3g2 files with no need for any conversions whatsoever. The only thing I had to do was using Spybot's startup list to disable it from starting every day. It works very well.

Bottom line - for a phone such as Samsung, so long as the little video clips are stored on the micro card, then micro card is plugged into a usb port, files get copied using Explorer to the computer and then just play. Both audio and video come through. In case of Verizon, the directory on the card is called my_flix.

Edited by tos226, 11 November 2007 - 04:31 PM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, tos226. :flowers:
I've never worked with these types of files, so I couldn't say with any certainty, what you needed to do.
Based on this, I was going to suggest you try to open them in QuickTime.

.... based on the MPEG-4 standard which was derived from Apple's QuickTime. QuickTime 6.5 includes support for key components of the 3GPP and 3GPP2 specifications.

Glad it worked.
We both learned something, today. :thumbsup:

The only thing I had to do was using Spybot's startup list to disable it from starting every day.

That's one thing about QuickTime, I hate.
It tries to force itself, on you.
From the link I provided, 3G2, it looks like RealPlayer, and Media Player Classic, should play these files, also.
You might want to look into, one of those.

If you do try one of those, and they work, please post back, and let us know.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

It's really so cool that you can, without any conversion, run something from a phone!!
Funny thing is, I used to have QT on my computer once and at that time didn't know how to defeat the startup, so I ditched it completely. You never know what might come handy after all :thumbsup:

I might try Media Player Classic, but I will NOT run RealPlayer - it's too invasive, it calls home, it constantly wants to go out to the wild web for something. I've seen it at work and I think it's a source of a lot of malware. JMO.

Your icon: "Can't decide what to use, so I won't use anything." me too :flowers:

Edited by tos226, 11 November 2007 - 11:28 PM.

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

I tried MediaPlayerClassic. The download is from Sourceforge so it's clean and safe.
Out of the box, it's not playing. I'm missing some things and could not find ReadMe file. It's quite possible it'll work just fine if somebody understands a long list of messages such as this exerpt in this screen shot
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/1688/me...icplayerjj9.png

I know I can download some codecs but have no idea what it is. Since QuickTime does it with no fuss whatsoever, I'm done with the subject. If I ever find time I might look deeper into this challenge :thumbsup:

#11 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:27 AM

A codec is basically just software that decrypts your music so your computer can play it.

Most people, including myself, like to use the All in one codec pack.

But it looks like you only need this one.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

OK. I downloaded the AllInOne. I put it in the Media Classic installation directory. What now?
Basically what's a good way to manage those codec things? where would you put it?

I really need some reasonable step-by-step, but it's not high priority since QT is working for me.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

#13 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

It doesn't matter. Just run the installation. It does the work of telling your applications where it installs the codecs.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users