Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Confused X 2

Confused X 2

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

I just installed a new hard drive in my computer. The original is a 60g and the new one is 300g. I copied the old hard drive to the new one and set the new 300g as master and the old 60g as slave. I now get an svchost.exe application error box with 0x7c901010 memory could not be "read". Also, windows will not shut down. I have to unplug to turn the computer off. Would it be better to set the 60 as master the 300 as slave. Should the larger hard drive be the master. Also I did something wrong because the drive letters are wrong. The new one is F and the old one is C. Any ideas on what I should do?
ps. I know just enough about computers to screw one up really good so don't assume that I know the basics.

Dell 8300
XP Pro

Edited by Confused X 2, 10 November 2007 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

you should have only copied over data, you needed to format the 300Gb HDD and load windows fresh, sounds like you tried copying files that were unable to and the best bet would be to format the drive and load windows properly.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

Well...I tend to put XP on the smallest drive I have, since it makes no sense to me to have the biggest drive (with one partition) take any number of other files with it when/if the boot drive goes bad or I am unable to boot (for any reason).

You say you copied the drive...what software did you use?

When I have copied partitions (using Drive Image or Partition Magic), I have found that the letter assigned the copy was something other than C:. This is a known phenomenon, since XP only recognizes the boot partition as the C: partition.

If I wanted to use the copied partition as a boot drive, I just did a repair install of XP (35 minutes), with no other hard drives attached. That forces the repair install to see XP as being on the C: partition.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

There are two things that you need to do to a new hdd prior to installing the operating system, you first need to partition the hdd, and the format it for the type of file system that you want, with XP this will be NTSF. I like to make a small partition to install the operating system and the second to store everything else. This way if the OS ever becomes corrupted you can reformat just that partition without have to worry about your other files. Once you have the operating system installed and the two hdds set as master and slave you can transfer information from the old drive to the new one.

If you have any questions regarding setting the two drives up as master and slave this article spells out all of the steps, it even has diagrams.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Confused X 2

Confused X 2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

You say you copied the drive...what software did you use?

I used the disc that came with the hard drive. Seagate Disc Wizard by Acronis. Thanks for the info so far. It's obvious that I did not do it correctly. I guess it's time for a "redo". Maybe this time with your help I'll have better results.

#6 Confused X 2

Confused X 2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

I have backed my computer up on an 80g external hard drive. I can now format both internal drives and install the OS fresh. Which drive would you suggest I make my master and slave or does it matter? How big of a partition should I make for the OS?

#7 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

use the 60 for the master and the 300 for storage.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

If you install XP and all programs on the boot partition, you really probably only need 15GB at the max.

I make all of my boot partitions 20GB, just to give myself some room if I should decide to record a sports program from my capture card and 20GB is about as small/large as I want to get. I have 9-10GB available as unused space on these boot partitions.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:09 PM

I would use the new hdd as the master, hdds are basically mechanical devices which mean that they will eventually fail, go with the new hdd for the master, put the OS on a small partition by itself as I suggested earlier and keep all the rest on the second partition and save the old hdd for temp storage as a slave unit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

by using the smaller drive it means it will not have room to fragment and slow down and if it starts to fail you'll have plenty of room to backup onto the 300gb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users