Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Switch To Linux

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

i read thru the linux sticky the other day and after repeating that task again tonight, i STILL havent got a clue as to what its telling me...

ive HEARD that Linux is the way to go. xp pro has been pretty stable for me, and firefox works good too but should i really stay with Gatesware?

thanks

Admin-Note: Altered title to be reflect the topic~g

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

So here is the deal. In most cases, Windows just works. you install a piece of hardware, or install some software, and 99% of the time, it works. I would put Linux from 60% to maybe 95%, depending on what distribution that you choose. The Windows corporation has paid programmers to help make sure that hardware and software is compatible. Linux relies on the kindness of strangers to work for free, so usually only the most common devices are supported. It turns out that this is a pretty large amount of hardware that is supported, but there is just enough that isn't supported that can lead to huge frustration and annoyance. I would consider a distro like Ubuntu to be of the 95% variety. It is likely going to recognize everything that you have.

The choice between Windows and Linux is largely philosophical, unless you are running your own servers. Server software is expensive, so Linux provides a way to do hosting for free. Otherwise, it can come down to the belief in open source versus closed source software, or the belief that software should be free, or one is simply tired of paying for operating systems. If you are into gaming, then you have little choice but to use Windows (at least to play games). If all you do is emails, web-surfing, and word processing, Linux will serve your needs just fine. Of course, it is possible to dual boot your system, or when you want to use Linux, simply use a live cd.

Whether or not you choose to stay with Windows really depends on what you want to do. I use both, and have love/hate relationships with both. I had the luxury of taking time to learn how to do more with Linux than just point and click, so Linux is useful to me. If you just want to point and click and have things work, stick with Windows.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:01 PM

I would suggest starting with a Live Cd Distro (PCLOS07, Ubuntu, Fedora 8 Live Cd, DSL, PuppyLinux, are all good ones to try). With PCLOS07, Ubuntu, and the Fedora 8 Live CDs you have the option to install from the CD if you choose to. Its a bit of a change but well worth the learning experiance.

Posted Image

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:36 PM

I would suggest starting with a Live Cd Distro (PCLOS07, Ubuntu, Fedora 8 Live Cd, DSL, PuppyLinux, are all good ones to try). With PCLOS07, Ubuntu, and the Fedora 8 Live CDs you have the option to install from the CD if you choose to. Its a bit of a change but well worth the learning experiance.

What he said :flowers:, Live CD's are a excellent way to see if you like Linux and if your computer likes it as well, if you have broadband you can download and burn a lot of different distros for only the cost of your time and blank Cdr's . Have you taken the Quiz? that may help you out. Haven't used any "Gatesware" in almost a couple years now ,and I feel fine :thumbsup: downloading and installing new software has gotten amazingly easy using "Synaptic" a couple clicks and you're done , same goes for updates.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#5 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

It is also possible to use both windows and linux.

#6 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hi ltdave

I've always used windows (XP) and been happy with it - that is until I bought a HP Notebook with Vista preinstalled. Vista has driven me mad with constant crashing, freezing, spyware and all the rest of it. The drive light on my laptop always works overtime..

Anyway - your question re Linux. A friend installed Linux on my laptop with the Dual-Boot for Windows. I now use Linux 90% of the time. No crashing, no spyware, no problems at all. I only boot in windows to use the software I bought for my Canon MP510 printer, and a few other things.

Linux operates differently from Windows so does take a little time to familiarize yourself around the OS.
Click on the link below - great for Linux newbies.
Ubuntu Forums

So I would say Yes to using Linux, but definately have dual-boot for windows to use as a back-up.

Make sure though that you get someone who is a Linux user / techie to install Linux with windows dual boot. Back up everything.

Hope this helps !
Nat :thumbsup:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

#7 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

thanks for all the replies...

my xp has been very good to me. same as my 95 OS2. i never did any of the interim versions. my previous computer was a 300mhz PII and this current one is a Dell 8200 (P4 i think)...

ive got media center on my newer laptop so i havent experienced any bad things with vista but definitely am interested in getting out of the possible trap if microsoft decides to start fooling around...

thanks again...

d

#8 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

you should give it a try, bearing in mind that it's not windows, so don't expect windows. If you don't like it, you can always go back.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#9 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:48 AM

Give Linux a try, try some live CD's for starters. I burn the ISO's with IMG Burn onto rewritable CD's in case the burn doesn't go my way.
You will want to at least use the "verify" option, and possibly turn down the write rate to get a good burn, You can also check the MD5 checksum, although I never have. If you are using ethernet, and especially a wireless connection, I would recommend PCLinuxOS as a good starter. I am a newb to Linux and the PCLOS desktop is KDE, versus Gnome. The learning curve is steep, but the learning experience is worth it. After hosing my MBR with GRUB ( an excellent bootloader) I now use lilo, on the first linux partition, and use the ntldr to boot the system again. I have learned more about windows since using Linux than I had ever imagined. And to think if it weren't for Vista being released I may have never even ventured to try it. Thanks loads Redmond.
Bug

#10 Turnips

Turnips

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:51 AM

It is also possible to use both windows and linux.

how?

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:08 AM

Install your windows flavour first, or test with a computer which all ready has windows installed. Partition the hard river to leave yourself roughly20-30 Gb (unless you have more) free (unpartitioned). Install the linux of your choice. Windows boot loader will disappear and be replaced probably by Lilo or Grub, which will present you with the option to boot linux or windows whenever you start the computer.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#12 BetsyFeller

BetsyFeller

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hi ltdave

I've always used windows (XP) and been happy with it - that is until I bought a HP Notebook with Vista preinstalled. Vista has driven me mad with constant crashing, freezing, spyware and all the rest of it. The drive light on my laptop always works overtime..

Anyway - your question re Linux. A friend installed Linux on my laptop with the Dual-Boot for Windows. I now use Linux 90% of the time. No crashing, no spyware, no problems at all. I only boot in windows to use the software I bought for my Canon MP510 printer, and a few other things.

Linux operates differently from Windows so does take a little time to familiarize yourself around the OS.
Click on the link below - great for Linux newbies.
Ubuntu Forums

So I would say Yes to using Linux, but definately have dual-boot for windows to use as a back-up.

Make sure though that you get someone who is a Linux user / techie to install Linux with windows dual boot. Back up everything.

Hope this helps !
Nat :flowers:

This helped out tremendously! I just bought a laptop, and I do not like Vista! Thanks! :thumbsup:
Thank you,
Betty A. Feller

#13 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

Aha i'm getting 2 versions of Linux, Linux Ubunto and Linux XP Freespire Edition 2008 installed in another partition on my computer. So that basically means im going to have 3 OS's on my computer.

Does anyone know if Nero, Avira AV and Comodo products will work on Linux?

I'm sure i'll love linux seeing as its freeware :thumbsup:

Also, is it possible to switch OS's without rebooting the computer? Or at least obtain files from the other OS without rebboting?

Edited by annabackwards, 23 November 2007 - 10:10 PM.

Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#14 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

Nero Linux 3

Avira AV

As of Dec 31, 2007, Comodo's Trustix secure linux will no longer be supported. There's plenty of alternatives if you're interested. You'll be surprised to find many of the linux from windows programs don't work exactly the same anyway. So you'll still have to get used to something different.

As far as switching OS's without rebooting, you'll have to look at VM Ware to do that. There are plenty of people here and many other places who can help you with that.

Edited by Joedude, 24 November 2007 - 01:19 PM.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

#15 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

Thanks, Joedude!
Posted Image