Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chronically Slow Start-up.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roadrunner66

roadrunner66

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hi to everyone. This is my first post, probably like many people I've found my way here after a few problems that I seem unable to solve without some assistance. Here goes:

My PC is taking around 25 mins to boot-up (after the desk top has appeared until I’m able to access the internet).

It has significantly slowed recently. The “Server and Controller app”asks Zone Alarm for access to the internet within the first 5 mins. This never appeared prior to recent problems.

I regularly get “This program is not responding” and “Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close”, similarly for Outlook Express followed by Error Report, Send/Don’t Send messages.

Sometimes a full blue screen appears requesting a re-start if this is the first time the screen has appeared (or more significant cache problems etc.). I also get a 60 sec. warning that the PC is going to shut down which has happened straight after start-up without me doing anything.

Task Manager tells me CPU is running at 25-40% with services.exe accounting for up to 37%.

After 25 mins it then allows access to the internet and behaves almost perfectly (CPU down to 5%) but is still prone to occasional 25 min delays until it settles down again.

System Restore no longer works (which I have found from Googling “services.exe” can be associated with a malware infection when “services.exe” is also a Trojan).

I have run AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, cwshredder and stinger in Safe Mode with System Restore turned off, but everything comes back “clean”.

I’m attaching an HJT log in the hope that someone might be able to identify any possible problems.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 21:57:52, on 10/11/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Wireless Device\Wireless Keyboard\Magickey.exe
C:\Program Files\Wireless Device\Wireless Mouse\MouseAp.exe
C:\Program Files\Wireless Device\Wireless Keyboard\osd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Downloads\phone software\Motorola packages\p2kman\p2kman.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/cd_redirects/search.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Enable Wireless Keyboard Driver.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wireless Device\Wireless Keyboard\Magickey.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Enable Wireless Optical Mouse Driver.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wireless Device\Wireless Mouse\MouseAp.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...b?1194045236765
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{80212615-0F76-4BD6-B902-084F359C952D}: NameServer = 212.139.132.26 212.139.132.27
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 4616 bytes

Thanks for taking a look.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

Hi roadrunner66, :thumbsup:

If you still need help please post a fresh HijackThis log and I'll be happy to look at it for you.

Thanks for your patience. :blink:

P.S. Please copy/paste the log into this thread using the Add Reply button.

#3 roadrunner66

roadrunner66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

Hi Falu,

Thanks for your offer of help. :blink:

Everything is fine now.

My PC got worse and became unusable. I needed it fixed so put it in for repair. It turns out that Window's Registry was significantly corrupted. I don't know how this happened, the person who fixed it dosn't know either. Those processes that were running were "killed" but the only solution was apparently to reinstall Windows. Fortunately I had the important stuff backed up although even after the re-install much of the previous content remained.

Thanks again....roadrunner66. :thumbsup:

ps. I only got back on-line yesterday so this is my first opportunity to reply.

Edited by roadrunner66, 25 November 2007 - 11:09 AM.

#4 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi roadrunner66, :thumbsup:

I hope you'll stay out of (computer) trouble.

Good luck. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users