Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A Laptop For College....build Or Buy? Help W/ Both Please...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:56 PM

I'm a junior in highschool and will be going PSEO at a college next semester (term starting in january) so I have until then to decide what laptop I need....as always..I come here to BC because everyone knows what they are talking about here!

First question is whether or not I want to build or buy my laptop....I have vast experience building PC's, but I'm guessing they are two totally different scenarios...so I guess if you HAVE build your own laptop before, please tell if you think it was a good idea or if you'd never do it again...and also how hard it was on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hardest)

In any case, build or buy, I'm on a budget but am willing to slurge on it if needed because it is a tax write-off for my parents anyways......here's my baseline specs

Atleast a 120 GB HD

2 GB RAM (min.)

DVD/CD Burner

Wireless capable (for on campus and home use)

Decent sized screen (from idk 14-17" i suppose)

Now here is where things get tricky for me since I've never built a laptop before....

I have no clue what CPU to go with...I'm guessing I want a dual core....mostly since my intel core2 duo has been great in my desktop pc.....but I'm not sure if Intel or AMD is a better value..so you'll have to clue me in there....

I don't know what kind of Mobo to run either, again, no experience with laptop mobos

Also, I don't know if I want an intergrated or seperate graphics card.....I'm not really sure if I'll be doing any video editing or gaming, but it would be nice for the power to be there if need be....

I'm probably forgetting something but you can clue me in on that as well...I have checked Newegg.com for prices on prebuilt laptops and they are WAY out of my price range...about $1300 and higher......my budget is to really try and stay well below $1000 ..but who knows......

One last thing I thought of was buying a crappy prebuilt and just upgrading it...tell me what you think about that as well......

Thanks a bunch BC friends.....

Zac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

I personally feel building your own laptop is not a feasible approach. So I believe I vote for a buy.

Take a look at this one or look thru the notebook tab and adjust components. see if it's more reasonable than building.

Notebook

Edited by boopme, 10 November 2007 - 11:47 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

My wife bought me an HP Pavillion 6000; 1.8Ghz dual core, 160 GB hard drive, 1 Gb memory, LiteScribe DVD-RW, Vista Home Premium, Broadcom 94311 Wireless. I immediately bought new memory and pumped it up to 2 gigs. I repartioned the hard drive and am dual booting with Ubuntu. I'm not sure about the screen....15" widescreen (or so). My wife is a bargain shopper, so I am guessing that she spent about $650 US on it.

For that price, it's hard to build and be any better, especially once you consider the price of Vista alone. For a workstation, I would say build your own. Laptops, not so much. I would like to build my own one day just to say I did it though.

#4 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

^ mine is similar :huh:

Mine is a HP Pavillion dv6000, with intel core 2 duo T7700, 2.4 GHz, 2Gb memory, 120GB hard drive, vista home premium, with a graphic card GeForce 8400GS or something to that extent. It also has a built in camera and DVD burner.

I bought it for less than a thousand [Probably like 900 something, can't remember, it's about two months ago.]

You can adjust the component in hp. You can do it in dell too, which I initially did, but with the delivery service was terrible!! It took them three weeks to tell me that they're going to delay my delivery...

I cancelled my order with dell, and went for hp. So far, I'm satisfied. I heard there's some problems with hp built in camera though, my friend's got one, and its driver was problematic. Mine is fine though, so I guess it's just your luck...

I'd recommend a hp laptop, with a customized spec according to your needs. However, try to find some online coupons. I got a 300 bucks discount for doing some research finding coupons. It doesn't hurt to try :thumbsup:

Edited by KIDRoach, 12 November 2007 - 07:05 PM.

If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users