Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"failed" Network Diagnostics

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rgbssb

rgbssb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

Running XP SP2 and connect to internet thru Motorola SB5120, Linksys WRT45G router, and D-Link DGE530T eternet card. Motherboard (ASUS A8N-E) also has on-board eternet connection not in use (currently disabled, but have used it OK). Comcast is service provider. During the process of troubleshooting intermittent slow connections, ran Network Diagnostics (even though internet connection was at normal speed at the time) and there were two "FAILED" messages returned: one for Surfboard Modem and one for Toshiba PCX modem which hasn't even been installed for months. Of course, neither of these are listed in Device Manager.

My question is: how can I "clean up" my network adapters listings to eliminate these obsolete items or would it be best to just leave them alone since internet connection does seem to be working OK most of the time?

I have read most of Microsoft's support articles on troubleshooting TCPIP issues and hesitate to use their "reset" tool and risk having to start over configuring the network and related programs as they suggest might be required. I'm not an expert with the Registry, but don't mind working with it if need be.

Thanks for any suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users