Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Any Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGenie

ComputerGenie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

Help!!!

My Norton has come to its license end and I have uninstalled so that I could use AVG or AVAST for free.

however I cannot insall ANY fre antivirus software or even any trail period versions of the likes of Norton

I have scanned several times with different packages and found no viruses but cannot get anywhere with installing

with AVG it cannot find the avgamsvr.exe file and something similar keeps happening with all other av software

Its like the files are disappearing into thin air

help!!

Louise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

Hi ComputerGenie,

When uninstalling Norton, did you run the Norton Removal Tool?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Sometimes one antivirus will detect another's files as being infected and remove them; they cannot distinguish between good and malicious use of certain file types. After you've used the Norton Removal Tool as suggeststed by TMacK, try redownloading AVG.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 ComputerGenie

ComputerGenie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

tried that but no joy - I have tried so many things that I hope I have not totally screwed up my system

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

Be sure to follow the RECOMMENDED BASIC AVG UNINSTALL / RE-INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.

If that doesn't work, you can try: IF ALL ELSE FAILS LETS GET RADICAL AND DO A COMPLETE NEW INSTALL STEP BY STEP.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 ComputerGenie

ComputerGenie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Happy Days!!!

using GMER I was able to identify Trojan activity on my machine! a file called srosa.sys was visible and the trojan was deleting a whole host of av related files

I managed to delete the offending files, then after a reboot AVG installed no problems - i am now in the middle of a scan so hopefully any other problems will be sorted.

i just wanted to let all forum readers know about thid as it took me all weekend to track down the problem

Thanks for your advice guys!

Louise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users