Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Renew Subscription For Norton Internet Sec

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ghostwriter

ghostwriter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:37 AM

I bought Norton Internet Security 2007 last year in a retail store and it's now expiring. So it's prompting me to renew online.
Which I have been trying to do. It's allowing me to connect to the server but after that I get this message....

" The file may not be supported by AOL. AOL will try to open it as a text file if you choose to continue".

So when I choose to continue I get another message....

" This file is too large to open using AOL. Please open this using another application".

And that's where it stops. I don't understand what it means when it says open using another application?

Norton has done well for me over the last year as both my husband and I are very basic internet users but if I have to go out again to buy the 2008 version, well, that's just annoying! :flowers:

Would I be better off with freeware? I have had a sticky beak at the freeware Grinler has listed but for a person who is very ignorant of all things computer, it totally made my head spin, so now I am even more confused then ever. :thumbsup:

Can anyone help or make a suggestion or two???

Oh BTW I am on dial up, sorry.

Thanks
What you do in life does matter……Each choice and action you make has
consequences, good or bad. Which path will you take?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

There are many discussions in this thread---some quite recent--- about whether one should use freeware or paid protective applications.
To be brief, I would say that you are better off (and so is your pocket book) using a combination of free applications to effect a layered security scheme for your computer. This is neither as complicated as it might seem, nor will your being on dial-up make much of a difference.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

If you are considering installing free antivirus software, AVG and avast! are probably the most widely used, and ultimately most effective. I personally use avast!, and have had no problems with it in the past. Here are the links to their manufacturer's websites:
avast!, AVG
What software you choose to install is - obviously - up to you, and preferences vary from person to person. I would suggest installing both of them, then having a look to see which you prefer, and are therefore willing to live with. After you have chosen, uninstall the other; running more than one more a sustained period of time can cause many problems with your computer.

EDIT: Typos.

Edited by rookie147, 10 November 2007 - 01:10 PM.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 ghostwriter

ghostwriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

Thanks John,

You said about using a combination of applications to make a layered effect?

I understand they all have different functions, so I get that but how do I know what is best for me? That's an unfair question to ask, urm...ok, what should I be looking for as my first priority of protection etc, and why?

John, I'm not trying to be difficult (not that you said I was) and I apologise if I am, I don't learn that well from reading, I am a hands on person, smell, see, touch , taste and hear and my attention span can be quite short at times.

So I also find it hard at times to recognise that other posts are identifyable to my situation, so here I am going around the old record player again and I hope you don't mind?

Also I still don't know why AOL is unable to download the subscription?? It should shouldn't it?

Thank you
What you do in life does matter……Each choice and action you make has
consequences, good or bad. Which path will you take?

#5 jAW

jAW

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:29 AM

Hi there.

I do not know why AOL says as it does, however, when you only renew a subscription you should not usually download anything at all since all it does is adding days to your account (or give you a renewalkey through email). Make sure that you have not selected 2008 as a renewaloption since this will be a full program download. If you already have paid for it you might need to contact the support to get it as a renewal instead of upgrade. If it happens even before you get an option to choose anything it could be something on that site that it does not support.

/jAW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users