Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:51 AM

Just bought this computer from my sister and her husband and I need to upgrade the memory from 512 to 1 GB.
it currently has 2 256 MB DDR2 PC2-4200 (266 Mhz). Said it is setup for dual channel, but if I buy a single 512 MB memory card and use it along with the current configuration , how much of a performance drop am I going to get? I don't want to shell out a lot for 2 256 chips or 2 512's for dual channel capability, but if it is that big of a deal, I guess I will.

I know what kind it takes as in the kind (either PC2-4200 or PC2-3200) and I know if I use the PC2-3200 it will use that speed.

Just trying to save a few dollars for more bang for my dell buck. yes, 2 gigs of RAM with this computer would be great but cant afford so one gig would be ok for me, as I only run web browsers, Yahoo and MSN messenger, Windows Media Player 11 and AVG Antivirus.

Computer Specs:

3.0 Ghz with HT trchnology
512 DDr2 PC23200 Ram
128 Mb Ati PCI E graphics card
80 GB Seagate SATA hard drive
DVD-RW and CD-Rom

Just need tom know if its ok to use the current 2 256's and 1 512 module.

Thanks,

Chad

Edited by narcoreality, 10 November 2007 - 12:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:24 AM

running dual channel basically doubles the speed, so if you add the third module you will lose that speed. I would wait until you can purchase two more matching modules. In order to run dual channel you need to have modules that have the exact same specs, most reputable manufacturers have deals on matched pairs that will actually save you money.

And yes, if you put two modules of different speeds in the faster module will only run as fast as the slower module.

It would help if you would provide us with the make and model of your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

A 1GB Dual-Channel Kit is as low as $50 (plus shipping) at my favorite place (New Egg). If you got a 1GB kit and kept your other 256 chips, you would have 1.5GB. Not bad! :flowers:

Yes, you can put a single 512 in there but as dc3 said. Borrow the extra $$$s or ask for an early Xmas gift from someone close. :thumbsup:

Good luck.

DR

#4 narcoreality

narcoreality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

running dual channel basically doubles the speed, so if you add the third module you will lose that speed. I would wait until you can purchase two more matching modules. In order to run dual channel you need to have modules that have the exact same specs, most reputable manufacturers have deals on matched pairs that will actually save you money.

And yes, if you put two modules of different speeds in the faster module will only run as fast as the slower module.

It would help if you would provide us with the make and model of your computer.

dc3,

it is a Dell Dimension 5150 from 2005. Thank you for the info. I might go ahead and get the 1 512 module for now and then when i get more money, get another for the dual channel capability.
I also want to upgrade to vista, as my sisters new computer has it and I have been messing with it and I think its a pretty cool O/S.

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

I'd just go ahead ang get 2 - 1GB sticks instead of messing with a 512MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users