Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix Them Now

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lazlopitt

lazlopitt

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

I was on a website doing some reading and suddenly my browser stopped and an IE window came up and told me to download Fixthemnow for a full system optimization for free. I was suspicious and closed it. Thought I would ask here. I wonder if I've been infected with something or if this is legit. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:40 AM

Well to be safe ...
What Antivirus and firewall are you using?
Scan using safe mode How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Download, Install and update ..Reboot back into safe mode and scan with the Free Home user version of SUPERAntiSpyware
Delete anything found and reboot back to normal mode.

Then you can run this ONline scan Panda ActiveScan?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

Boopme: Thanks for responding. I have AVG free edition and Comodo pro. Last night I cleaned up all temp internet files, ran ad-aware, and ran my anti-virus. Everything seems to be OK. But I will try your tips. I googled "fix them now" and it is a forced pop-up to try and corrupt your system. Glad I wasn't stupid enough to download it. It looked just like a real IE window. I am still concerned how the pop-up got through my pop-up blocker and firewall.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

If after you've run the SUPER scan it would be interesting to see if and what it finds.
If you would do this and post that info back it would be appreciated.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:08 AM

It may have been an attempted driveby installation of malware. The article in the link below describes what is happening on MySpace but it is happening all across the web.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20071110/t...2MbdhsXJy8E1vAI

As you will read in the article, all a user has to do is visit a site on the internet.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hey guys, Yes I ran superantispyware and it did find something. Three trojan media-codecs in registry. From what I understand these are gateways?? to help a virus to get in?? Thanks for the tip. Ad-aware didn't find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users