Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Installing Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bobdablob

Bobdablob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

I wish to reformat my computer, but it's having troubles reinstalling windows. The harddrive is formatted and cleared, so I proceed with the windows installation. It finishes the first step and tells me it will reboot my computer and continue with the setup after the reboot. However, after the reboot it seems to think that I haven't actually done anything and goes back to the start of the setup again. I have one harddrive and no partitions by the way. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

Welcome to BC
If I remember correctly. When it prompts you to "press any key to reboot" don't do it. Let it reboot on it's own
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 09 November 2007 - 07:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Bobdablob

Bobdablob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

I've tried just letting it boot on its own and pressing the enter key to reboot. Both yield the same result, it just goes back to the start of setup again on the next reboot.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

I believe that some persons have problems installing XP when they don't use the XP CD to do the format/creation of partition.

My suggestion would be to delete all existing partitions, using the XP CD...then format/create/install XP using the CD. And elect the NTFS file system, not FAT32.

Louis

#5 Bobdablob

Bobdablob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm using the XP CD and using the NTFS format system.

#6 Bobdablob

Bobdablob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

Ok I think there may be something wrong with my SATA ports on my motherboard considering I've had issues with them previously. I've solved this issue in the past by connecting my harddrive to the RAID array and it works fine from there. However, if I use the RAID array and attempt to install windows, it says I don't have any harddisks powered on or connected. That's fine, I can install the RAID drivers when windows setup starts up by pressing "f6"... but it's not letting me. I've tapped f6 when it says to do so... I've spammed it... and nothing, it just goes on and ignores me. Yes my keyboard works for everything else. This is very frustrating.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

I think it's time to check that hard drive :thumbsup:.

First, I would see if I could run chkdsk /r on the drive (by attaching it temporarily to a known good, protected working system).

If that is not feasible, then I would download and run a disk diagnostic (available at the website of the HD manufacturer), long test. If nothing of substance is on the drive, I might even do a low-level format, but I would run the diagnostic first.

You're right, you should be able to load the RAID drivers when attempting to install XP when the F6 option pops up.

But you also have to install the SATA drivers during the XP install, don't you?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users