Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bato1

bato1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

Ive been thinking about dual booting my vista system with another os. Ive been considering ubuntu 7.10 or leopard (if possible with my mb, gpu, and sound card)) I have come close to doing it but i recently talked to a tech at a local repair shop and he told me it is a better idea to use 2 hdds to do this, with the boot loader on the first, and the other os on the second because if i got the gist of what he was saying, running a system recovery on it for vista if it ever got screwed up would not be able to read the partitions and it would really mess up my system. is this true? I have researched forum after forum and have never had this suggested. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

The general Idea is Correct.

First off, I would not install either OS Currently.

Leopard takes a mighty fine-tuned hack and seems to dislike some
add in Video cards. The specifics of this concern how the OS Communicates
with the Motherboard and the Graphics Card.

Further, if I'm not mistaken, you have to get around the issues of an EFI Bios.
I'm not going go into this in great detail, but the short and sweet has to do with
you comfort level in dealing with mutliple technologies.

Now, as far as Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.10) I would not recommend this for your first
linux experience if that's the case b/c Feisty has a lot of experimental features.
That being said, Hardy Heron is geared towards stability and long term support.
I would Wait for this version of Ubuntu before installing to a HDD because you're
likely to have far fewer issues getting up and running.

Now, As per installation, I would use two seperate drives as the tech suggested.
Also, you'll want to make certain that you leave your Recovery partition IN TACT
before performing any installation of this magnitude. Make sure to Back up your Data to
An external drive. If you absolutely MUST have Feisty or Leopard, then post your
Bootloader questions here.

I hope I've been detailed without being condescending.
Remember that we're here to help no matter what you decide.

Good Luck

#3 bato1

bato1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

forgive my ignorance here but by backing up my data is that the same as making recovery disks? I dont have anything on the computer that I would miss if I were to lose it so if it about files I have created I really couldnt care less, it would just be a matter of re d/l firefox (computer is only a few weeks old.. Is 7.04 for ubuntu still available for d/l? would that be a possibility for me? If I could go back to xp I would be just as happy, but where I bought the computer from (compusa) says that even if I buy a full xp I couldnt reformat and install that as I probably wouldnt be able to find the drivers for the hardware (well gpu and sound wouldnt be a problem, but i guess other parts like the bios wouldnt work with xp with a fact installed vista machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users