Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sexplorer.it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 rhodes

rhodes

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

Following on from my previous post, I have just read that HijackThis should be unzipped before running it, so I have done that and here is the new log file.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 23:43:48, on 17/02/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\npssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\TBC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\lssrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winlogs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PRIMAX\POWERT~1\Pmxdetect.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Launcher.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\alertsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\POPROXY.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.blueyonder.co.uk/search/search.jsp
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.co.uk/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer Provided by blueyonder
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnmsg] C:\TBC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Services] lssrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows logging] winlogs.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Anti Virus] symantec32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpyHunter] C:\Program Files\Windows TaskAd\WinTaskAd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Scan Detector] C:\PROGRA~1\PRIMAX\POWERT~1\Pmxdetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrimaLauncher] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Launcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPS Event Checker] C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\npscheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton eMail Protect] C:\Program Files\Navnt\POPROXY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV DefAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\defalert.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Update Machine] Winregs32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft media services] winmplayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnigmaPopupStop] C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\PopupBlocker\EnigmaPopupStop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Auto updat] crsrs.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Admilli Service] C:\Program Files\Admilli Service\AdmilliServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [washindex] C:\Program Files\Washer\washidx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows logging] winlogs.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Services] lssrv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows logging] winlogs.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Free WebSite Tools.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Norton AntiVirus AutoProtect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Navnt\navapw32.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {26CBF141-7D0F-46E1-AA06-718958B6E4D2} - http://download.ebay.com/turbo_lister/UK/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...b?1104324450371
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NAV Alert - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\alertsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NAV Auto-Protect - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Program Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\npssvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:10 PM

Hi rhodes,

I'll be looking after the review of your log and will get back to you as soon as possible with some fixes.

#3 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:30 PM

Hi rhodes,

You have a number of worm infections and there are a number of steps you need to take in order to clean your machine. Please carry out the steps in the order they are given. You may find it helpful to print these instructions out as you will not have access to the Internet whilst you are running in Safe mode.
  • Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:
    How to see hidden files in Windows

• Perform a full scan here: Trendmicro, check AutoClean and let it remove anything it finds.

Perform a second full scan here: Panda Online, follow the instructions on the screed, make sure these are checked:
    • Disinfect automatically
    • Scan compressed files
    • Scan e-mail files
    • Neutralize Trojans
    Let active scan remove anything it finds.

Perform a full scan here: BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
    Follow the instructions on the screen.
    Tick all the boxes on the left and let Bitdefender remove anything it finds.

• Download System Security Suite here:
    System Security Suite Download & Tutorial. Unzip it to your desktop.
    Install the program. Don't use it yet.

• Restart you machine in Safe Mode:
    • Reboot your computer
    • As the machine starts, continually tap the F8 key
    • You will then be presented with a menu screen
    • Use the the up/down arrow keys to select Safe Mode
    • Press the Enter key to boot in that mode.
  • Run HijackThis
    Click on the Scan button and when complete
    Put a check beside all of the items listed below. Please don't be concerned if any of the items are not found.
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnmsg] C:\TBC.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows logging] winlogs.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpyHunter] C:\Program Files\Windows TaskAd\WinTaskAd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Update Machine] Winregs32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft media services] winmplayer.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Auto updat] crsrs.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows logging] winlogs.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows logging] winlogs.exe

Close all open Explorer windows and browsers
    Click on the "Fix Checked" button
    When complete and all files removed, close the application.

• Please delete the following files or folders (delete item in bold). Please do not be concerned if
    any of the items are not found as they may have been automatically removed by actions I had
    you take earlier in the cleaning process.C:\TBC.exe >>> file
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\lssrv.exe >>> file only
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\winlogs.exe >>> file only
    C:\Program Files\Windows TaskAd >>> folder
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\crsrs.exe >>> file only
  • Close all windows and browsers that are open.
    Clean out Temporary Folders and Temporary Internet Files as follows:
    • Open the System Security Suite that I had you download earlier.
    • In the Items to Clear tab check:
      - Internet Explorer (left pane): Cookies & Temporary files
      - My Computer (right pane): Temporary files & Recycle Bin
    Click the Clear Selected Items button.
    Close the program.

• Reboot your machine in normal mode, run HijackThis and post a new log here using the Add Reply button.

#4 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

Thank you penmore. Having done all that I no longer get the blank 'sexplorer' web page. here is my new hijackThis log

Scan saved at 23:23:18, on 18/02/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\lssrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.blueyonder.co.uk/search/search.jsp
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.co.uk/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer Provided by blueyonder
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnigmaPopupStop] C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\PopupBlocker\EnigmaPopupStop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Admilli Service] C:\Program Files\Admilli Service\AdmilliServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Norton AntiVirus AutoProtect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Navnt\navapw32.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {26CBF141-7D0F-46E1-AA06-718958B6E4D2} - http://download.ebay.com/turbo_lister/UK/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...b?1104324450371
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse...pdownloader.cab
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NAV Alert - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\alertsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NAV Auto-Protect - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Program Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\npssvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

#5 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:35 PM

Dear Penmore, I notice that from the log that that some entries (for Issrv.exe for example) seem to have come back. Is this a problem ? Rhodes

#6 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:41 AM

Hi rhodes,

The most likely reason for the return of the WORM_RBOT.CW infection is because your operating system is lacking in the necessary security patches that protect against this type of infection.

It is essential that you update your Windows before we try to clean your machine as the infections will undoubtedly reoccur. Go to http://www.windowsupdate.com and it will redirect you to the latest update page and scan for all possible updates.

When its done you will see a couple of options for installing High Priority Updates. Click on either of the options and install everything that you can. When it prompts you to reboot, do so. Then repeat this process again until there are no more critical updates listed.

Run the Trendmicro online scan again following the instructions I gave you earlier.

Reboot your machine, run HijackThis and post a new log here using the Add Reply button.

#7 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:03 PM

Dear Penmore. Thanks for your latest advice. My recent catalogue of dissasters runs like this: a few weeks ago I ran windows update and was told I needed service pack 2. I accepted this but things went badly wrong and my machine froze half way though and I had to do an uncontroled restart, uninstal service pack 2 (which appeared to be successful) and reboot. The only trouble was that it would not boot properly and just kept rebooting after displaying my desktop for a couple of seconds. When I mentioned this to some friends at work they said that many people had trouble with this update. I left it for while (reverting to my windows 98 machine) but on Thursday I decided to reload Windows XP, which sorted the problem out.

As soon as I did this I ran Windows Update (once) and installed a big batch of critical updates, then I sent you my hijackthis log.

I have attempted to follow your latest instruction but the only critical update Windows Update has offered me is.. you've probably guessed it... service pack 2. Naturally, I am reluctant to install this. What is your advice please.

#8 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:59 AM

Hi rhodes,

Sorry you are having problems with the SP2 download and install. It may be better for you if you order a free CD with the upgrade on it and install that. You can follow the link on this site to order the CD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389.

In the meantime can you run the Trendmicro online scan and let me know what infected files it finds and whether it was able to delete them.

Then run HijackThis and post a fresh log here using the Add Reply button, including any information you have from the Trendmicro run.

#9 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

Dear Penmore,

I ran Trendmicro online scan and it did not find any infected files. However my Norton AV detected Trojan Dropper in C:\Windows\System32\lssrv.exe which it could not repaire so I restarted in safe mode, ran a Norton scan and let it remove it. This seems to keep comming back though (not yet though).

I have also had a message from Norton AV W32.Spybot.worm detected in C:\system volume information\_restore.....................\A0001851.exe. I have not done anything about this and it was not detected when I ran the NAV scan.

Anyway, thaks agin for all you help and here is my latest hijackthis log.

Scan saved at 21:15:32, on 20/02/2005

Running processes:

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse...pdownloader.cab

#10 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:11 AM

Hi rhodes,

You did well thinking of running NAV in safe mode :thumbsup: however you are probably correct that it will return because you have TeaTimer running and this can prevent some of the fixes we try to do. Did you manage to order a SP2 CD from the link that I gave you? The lssrv.exe are still showing in your log so lets try and make sure that it has gone.
  • Before we use HijackThis to fix those entries in your log, lets disable TeaTimer as it could interfere with the removal of some items, so please follow these instructions to disable it temporarily. Disable TeaTimer.

• Reboot your machine in Safe Mode.

• Run a NAV scan and remove anything it finds. Let me know what it finds.

• Run HijackThis
    Click on the Scan button and when complete
    Put a check beside all of the items listed below

• O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Services] lssrv.exe

Close all open Explorer windows and browsers
    Click on the "Fix Checked" button
    When complete and all files removed, close the application.

• Use Windows Explorer and try and locate C:\Windows\System32\lssrv.exe and delete the file only.

• Close all windows and browsers that are open.
    Clean out Temporary Folders and Temporary Internet Files as follows:
    • Open the System Security Suite that I had you download earlier.
    • In the Items to Clear tab check:
      - Internet Explorer (left pane): Cookies & Temporary files
      - My Computer (right pane): Temporary files & Recycle Bin
    Click the Clear Selected Items button.
    Close the program.

• Reboot your machine in normal mode and post a new log here using the Add Reply button. Re-enable TeaTimer, let me know how you went on with the various fixes and the SP2 CD when you post your log.

#11 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

Dear Penmore, I have followed your advice and below is my new hijackthis log.

the results of each step were:-
Disabled TeaTimer - ok
In safe mode, before performing a NAV scan, I looked for C:\Windows\System32\lssrv.exe but could not find it.
Ran a NAV scan - found nothing
Ran Hijackthis, checked and removed the two lssrv.exe entries
looked again for C:\Windows\System32\lssrv.exe but could not find it.
Used system security as stated.
rebooted and got a microsoft message saying that I had recovered from a serious error and asked me to post details, which I did. A Web page the said it would be investigated.
Created this log.

I got the other NAV message about W32.Spybot.worm a few times today too.

I have not ordered the disk yet. Will do it tomorrow (I'm falling asleep just now) and will let you know.

Thanks again, Rhodes

Scan saved at 23:38:47, on 21/02/2005

Running processes:

#12 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:15 AM

Hello rhodes,

Well that seems to have cleared out the remaining references to the lssrv.exe file. I would like to see you with SP2 installed to make sure that your machine is fully protected so I will leave this thread open until you have SP2 successfully installed and have posted a log for me to check.

Whilst we are waiting for SP2 to arrive I would like you to install any protective/removal software and settings that you don't have already have. Also, I think it would be wise for you to Disable System Restore, run a full scan with NAV, then Enable System Restore and create a new restore point. We need to do this just in case there are any infections that have been backed up to old restore points which could be re-introduced to your system. You'll find the instructions in the list below. You need to remember that SP2 has things like popup blocker software. Please ensure that you don't run any software that duplicates any other protective software that you have (e.g. firewalls, anti virus, popup blockers etc) as this may cause conflicts and leave you unprotected.

This link will give you more information about the W32.Spybot.Worm and perhaps highlight the need for having all of the critical updates installed:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...pybot.worm.html

I look forward to hearing back from you when you have SP2 installed.

Peter.

Please take the time to review the list and implement any of the software or settings that you don't have already.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and reenable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point. You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:Renable system restore with instructions from tutorial above.

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
    See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:Understanding and Using Firewalls
  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit Windows Update Site regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.
    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers
  • Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.
    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware
  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

#13 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:03 PM

Hi Peter,

I tried to order the free disk but it timed out twice at different points in the process. Having understood your message about how important it is to have all the latest updates, I decided to give the download update another try and this time it worked. I have one concern though.

When it finished, the Windows Security Centre pannel was displayed which said that Windows did not dectect any antivirus software, even though I have NAV installed. I checked the button to say I would monitor it myself. Does this sound ok to you ?

Am I correct in thinking that I should turn off the XP firewall as I have my own firewall (Zone Alarms) installed ?

Do I have to do anything about the W32.Spybot.Worm message, or should it stop happening now ?

I have done all the step in the list you posted, apart from instal and run SpywareBlaster which I will do soon. I have included a hijackthis scan, just incase it is of use this time.

Once again, many thanks for all your help, Rhodes

Scan saved at 00:01:08, on 23/02/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\NMain.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

#14 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:45 AM

Hi rhodes,

When it finished, the Windows Security Centre pannel was displayed which said that Windows did not dectect any antivirus software, even though I have NAV installed. I checked the button to say I would monitor it myself. Does this sound ok to you ?

Yes, that's fine, Windows Security only recognizes certain versions of the Symantec antivirus software.

Am I correct in thinking that I should turn off the XP firewall as I have my own firewall (Zone Alarms) installed ?

Yes, your thinking is correct on that.

Do I have to do anything about the W32.Spybot.Worm message, or should it stop happening now ?

I would suggest that you run the full NAV scan again in Safe mode and see if it finds anything and report back if it does. The Symantec link I gave you earlier suggests certain things you should do regarding passwords. I would suggest that you follow those recommendations and change any passwords that you have used on your machine just to be on the safe side.

You've done well to get your machine clean and updating your operating system. :thumbsup: I will leave this thread open for a short while longer just in case you have any problems with the W32.Spybot.Worm and need to post back.

Peter

#15 rhodes

rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

Peter,

I have not had the W32.Spybot.worm message again.

I have made a donation.

Thanks for all your help.

Rhodes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users