Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jayzce

jayzce

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

My vista came with Norton and the trial period is about to expire. I know there are a couple of free anti virus softwares out there. I would like to know if there are other anti virus software like the AVG for the vista? or any suggestion of other anti virus software that is great when it comes to compatibility with Vista. i regularly run spybot S&D and AdAware i have here on my pc. and i wanted to uninstall norton on my system once it completely expires.

looking for some good advise.

Thanks... :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

If you are after free anti virus software other than AVG which is also Vista compatable then yes there are - Anti Vir and Avast

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Bitdefender Free is another Antivirus proggram

You may want to keep this info handy for that time.
Although SymNRT is still available for download the old link for the SymNRT removal page is now redirected to the Norton Removal Tool which uninstalls ALL Norton 2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer. (skip step 3 if your not going to reinstall your Norton product)

Note: Previously, there were two options available for this tool: On line removal using Internet Explorer and Manual File Download. Symantec has incorporated these two removal methods into one which simply involves downloading and running the tool.

Also see: Manual uninstallation documents for Symantec Client Security products(including Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition and Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition)
Document ID:2002031914291648

Edited by boopme, 09 November 2007 - 04:59 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jayzce

jayzce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

thanks for these info. i will try to see what software fits me. i don't wanted to renew and renew subscription thats why I'm into free anti virus software. I'm taking precautions and other important things to eliminate the threat of viruses and others.

also in addition is Vista's firewall good? or i need a software to replace the firewall of vista? I only know one firewall software which is zone alarm. the basic is free the pro is not.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

You're welcome
As to the firewall.... I do not have Vista but after I read this I feel the ZA wall may be a better option. That is unless you can configure it or someone else here can explain how. Because it appears as the older windows walls it's limited on it outbound traffic monitoring.

But by default, most outbound filtering in the Windows Vista firewall is turned off. In addition, there may be no practical way to use outbound filtering to stop all unwanted outbound connections.

Vista Firewall Fails on Outbound Security PC World

Edited by boopme, 10 November 2007 - 12:14 AM.
correct link

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

I've been using PC Tools Firewall Plus (free version) on Vista for a few months without any noticeable problem.

I did disable the Vista firewall after I installed it, too.

Also, I've been using AVG Free and it seems to be OK as well.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

The Vista firewall is very capable and adjustable - you can filter outbound traffic just as easily as changing the rules for inbound traffic. The difficulty lies in not being able to easily see what traffic you need/want to block. Here's a link to a free tool that others here have used: http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

Most "good" firewalls will notify you of each incoming and outgoing connection attempt and let you set rules for them. This is a PITA when you first set up a new firewall, but it quickly calms down to a manageable level.

FYI - I need a good firewall to not only protect my system, but also to inform me of threats that my 2 teenagers have unwittingly found on the web. Otherwise I'll spend most of my day researching the syslog from my router.

So - I've used ZoneAlarm on my Vista system and it didn't like it very much (BSOD) although it did notify my of all incoming and outgoing traffic - and the uninstall was also a bit painful. The Kerio firewall that I tried wasn't as informative as I'd hoped for, so I uninstalled it.

I just decided to try the Webroot Desktop Firewall and so far it's asking all the right questions. It's free, but requires an email address to get the download (you're offered the chance to opt out of further emails later on).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users