Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard (?) Input Problem (repeated Left Arrow)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rhythmdvl

Rhythmdvl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:45 AM

Hello everyone, and thank you for past help (from reading forums, this is my first post)

Sorry for the vague title and the verbose description, but Iím not sure of the problem and donít know how to describe it concisely. Given the generic descriptor terms, Iíve also had a very hard time (but I tried!) searching for a solution before posting. Anyway...

Every once in a while (I loathe trying to diagnose a sporadic problem) my computer seems to think Iím holding down the left arrow key. In any text field (Word, Notepad, address bar, search box, anywhere a cursor can go) the cursor steadily moves to the left, one space at a time. When it gets to the end (beginning) of a line, it moves up and keeps moving to the left as if I was holding down the arrow key. If itís any kind of text box, I can type, but everything effectively comes out backwards (i.e., siht ekil). If I hit the alt key to bring up the menu bar, it cycles through them as well. If I bring up a dialogue box it acts the sameóeither continuing to cycle through the choices or hitting a dead end and staying on the leftmost option.

Once it starts happening it affects all programs, all the way to the start>shutdown dialogue. Iím not sure when the problem arose, but it has lasted through two keyboards -- the fist plugged into the PS/2 port and the current keyboard is USB. It may have begun after installing a Logitech cordless mouse, but I unfortunately canít say for sure. Besides, the computer acts as if the arrow key is pressed, while the mouse cursor stays in control. In any event, Iíve tried replacing the mouse batteries during a cursor attack, but to no avail.

Hereís where it gets weird, and why Iím posting in an OS forum (though I canít rule out hardware as the source). At first the only way to get rid of it was to restart (you can imagine the problems trying to save a document when the arrow is stuck). Then after a bit of trial and error, I found that I can get my machine back to normal by going to Start>Log Off User>Switch User, and selecting myself again. It my take one or two tries, butópoof, no stuck arrow!

But thatís a PITA, and Iíd really like to know whatís going on and actually solve the problem, not the symptom. Other than changing the keyboard and port, (which was done), I have no idea how to diagnose this. Spybot, Adaware, and AVG come up clean, and after a bit of desperation, so did House Call and Norton AV.

As for hardware, Iím on a home-built machine with:
XP Pro SP2 and all patches
Asus NForce4 M2N4 SLI mobo
Athlon 64X2 4800+
2 GB Kingston RAM
Microsoft USB Natural Keyboard 4000
Logitech MX610 mouse
All drivers are as updated as they can be

Oh, and bonus points if you can help get ďMe and My ArrowĒ out of my head

Thanks,

Rhythm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

Sounds to me like a different keyboard would be a smart move, if only temporary for troubleshooting.

Louis

#3 Rhythmdvl

Rhythmdvl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

Sounds to me like a different keyboard would be a smart move, if only temporary for troubleshooting.

I'd hoped so, but unfortunately this already is the second keyboard. The first (PS/2 connection) finally passed away for unrelated reasons after about seven or eight years of wonderful typing.

I replaced it with a nearly-identical one, save it's a USB connection.

So by process o' elimination, I'm assuming (!) I can rule out keyboard, driver, and the port as a possible source of the trouble.

Yet the vexation remains!

Rhythm

Edited by Rhythmdvl, 09 November 2007 - 12:30 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

You're missing the point :thumbsup:.

Any...any hardware item can go bad, at any moment. The easiest way for me to test items like keyboards, mouses, etc...is to replace them with a known new or working device that performs the same function.

Since it's a USB device, your USB ports might also be contributing to your consternation, so I would suggest testing those.

And it probably would not hurt to take a look in Event Viewer for error messages that point to one of those areas.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

I like to rule out hardware possibilities before I consider O/S/3d-party apps as contributors.

Louis

#5 Rhythmdvl

Rhythmdvl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

Hi again,

Because crazier things have happened, Iíll swap out this keyboard for the one I use when putting systems together.

However, remember that this is already the second keyboard.

It started with keyboard 1, on a PS/2 connection.

Keyboard 2 was both new and a different type of connection (USB), and the issue came up just as regularly.

Lastly, the problem goes away if I log off and back on. It never went away on its own without that or restarting the entire system.

In any event, Iíll be keeping an eye on the event viewer and moving to my build keyboard for a while and see what happens. I hate sporadic problems, because this may mean that Iíll be on that keyb for a while.

Thanks~

Rhythm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users