Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Did A Bad Thing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:47 AM

I am not for sure this is where I should post but I figure if it is not someone will let me know. Here goes:

I was looking for a MP3 codec. Somewhere I came accross a place suggesting I get "ACE Mega CodecS Pack".
I downloaded the professional version. Then I noticed it took over my audio programs and picture programs. I lost iTunes and Olympus Master Plus. I can not open them. I went to iTunes forum and joined in on the forum. Apperently, an upgrade has caused a lot of people to loose iTunes. I tried their fixes but none worked. I think my problem goes back to downloading the codec pack because I lost several other programs after that. I have it off my computer but it has done it's damage. Now I don't know how to get my programs to working again and I have come back in shame to look for help here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Silent Bob

Silent Bob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:57 AM

What OS are you running?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

You may want to do a system restore to a day or so before the install of the codec pack. Here is BC's tutorial, if using XP.

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Edited by boopme, 09 November 2007 - 12:21 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

When I started seeing a problem I uninstalled that program and ran registry mechanic. It makes a restore point before it does anything. It wiped out any other points I could have used. I noticed any program that uses qucktime will not work. I can't uninstall or install quicktime. I searched and found 488 instances of quicktime. I am not sure weather I should delete them all or not. The fix they had on iTunes forum might have worked but I can't get rid of quicktime. Anything else you need to know just ask, please.

Compaq Presario, 2.4GHz proccessor, 760MB DDRRam, Windows XP Service Pack 2,

#5 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

Somebody finally came up with which quicktime files to delete. I deleted all files I found in system32 and tried to open items and it loaded and worked. All the other stuff that depend on quicktime is now working.

Thanks for your help.
Until next time I do a bad thing.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

OK thanks for posting and you're welcome.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users