Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smartfixer!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 susanlee

susanlee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:28 AM

hello,well all i can say is as of 2 days ago i try to download anything i get a page that opens that says smartfixer.and to download it.im going crazy on how to stop this page from opening up every time i try to download anything.i scan and nothing comes up for smartfixer,i look in c/program files/smart anything..and come up nothin again.nothing in the add and remove either.plz if any 1 has any info that can help or you need any more ifo.. ty in advance ...

susan :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:40 AM

Use the three programs below.

Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/
Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Here is Symantec's link for backing up the registry and the registry keys to delete to remove Smartfixer if needed.
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-99&tabid=3
Files used by Smartfixer: SmartFixer.exe SmartFixer 2007.lnk SmartFixer 2007.lnk license.rtf
How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

SmartFixer is a rogue security product. Many malware programs can be uninstalled by using Add/Remove Programs so check there. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. From within Add/Remove Programs uninstall questionable programs by highlighting them and selecting Remove. See BC's Uninstall Programs Database.

If they is no entry, disconnect from the Internet and use Windows Search feature > More advanced options to locate and remove these files:

SmartFixer 2007.lnk
SmartFixer 2007.lnk
license.rtf
SmartFixer.exe
sysapp.exe
d_upd.exe
smartscanner.exe

To do this, go to Start -> Search and click For Files or Folders....
  • Click All files and folders.
  • Type in the name of the file under "Search by...criteria."
  • Click More advanced options and check these options:
    • "Search system folders"
    • "Search hidden files and folders"
    • "Search subfolders"
  • Then click "Search" to look for the file(s).
When found right-click the file, choose delete and empty your recycle bin. If you get an error when deleting a file, right-click on it and check to see if the read only attribute is checked. If it is, uncheck it and try again. If that does not work, then open Task Manager, look for and kill the process if running, then delete the file.

Then download AutoRuns
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to SmartFixer.exe.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users