SmartFixer is a rogue security product. Many malware programs can be uninstalled by using Add/Remove Programs
so check there. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. From within Add/Remove Programs uninstall questionable programs by highlighting them and selecting Remove
. See BC's Uninstall Programs Database
If they is no entry, disconnect from the Internet and use Windows Search feature
> More advanced options to locate and remove these files:
To do this, go to Start -> Search and click For Files or Folders...
- Click All files and folders.
- Type in the name of the file under "Search by...criteria."
- Click More advanced options and check these options:
- "Search system folders"
- "Search hidden files and folders"
- "Search subfolders"
- Then click "Search" to look for the file(s).
When found right-click the file, choose delete and empty your recycle bin. If you get an error when deleting a file, right-click on it and check to see if the read only attribute is checked. If it is, uncheck it and try again. If that does not work, then open Task Manager, look for and kill the process if running, then delete the file.
Then download AutoRuns
- Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
- Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
- Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
- When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
- Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to SmartFixer.exe.
- Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
- Reboot your computer.