Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns Off After 40 Seconds.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rberger3

rberger3

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

So i got a used custom built pc, it's got a tforce4u board in it and a little red light on d13 by the jcmos1 part of the board. No matter what i do once i turn the pc on, whether i try to load an OS, or look around the bios, it turns off at around 40 seconds. Also, when i recieved it in the mail it's heatsink was hanging off. any thoughts?, let me know if i left out any pertinent info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:46 AM

return it for a replacement.

#3 rberger3

rberger3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

Ok fair enough, are there any other suggestions?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

When you reattached the heatsink, did you clean off the old thermal compound and add some new compound (very small amount)?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 rberger3

rberger3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

I did not! What should i clean it off with? And how much do i put on?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

The suggestion made by Robert...is the normal suggestion that one can expect when talking about damaged/defective items recently purchased...if covered by a warranty.

OTOH, if the system was purchased "as is" and no warranty applies, it sounds to me like you have a lot of work on your hands. You need to find out, component by component (and this is not easy) what works...and then move on from there to figure out what doesn't work.

Just to get you started...

Can you actually get in the BIOS?

How much RAM installed?

How big a hard drive? Is the HD recognized properly in the BIOS?

Do you have an XP CD with a legal license? If not, what O/S were you attempting to install?

Have you checked all connections and seating for cards and RAM?

Louis

#7 rberger3

rberger3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

I can get into the bios, and look around unitl it turns off.

I have 2 x 512 sticks

1x160 gb IDE and 1x120 gb SATA

XP with legal license=yes!

I haven't checked ALL the connections and seating but i have checked some of them.

I will get some of the thermal Paste at a computer store tonight and try it this weekend.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

I can get into the bios, and look around unitl it turns off.

I have 2 x 512 sticks

1x160 gb IDE and 1x120 gb SATA

XP with legal license=yes!

I haven't checked ALL the connections and seating but i have checked some of them.

I will get some of the thermal Paste at a computer store tonight and try it this weekend.

Clean off the matching surfaces with rubbing alcohol and use a small drop of compound spread evenly and as thin as possible Hopefully it is shutting down from overheating and this will solve the problem. It's the most obvious, but be prepared to troubleshoot further as Hamluis stated
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users