Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need The 411 On "gjnvmvrr.dll" File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maniai

maniai

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

I've been battling a virus using primarily SpyBot. It asks me whether or not I want to accept certain changes. Most of the time I think I know enough to make the right choice. But now it's asking me about "a41b5492" and rundll32.exe and "c:\windows\system32\gjnvmvrr.dll". And I don't recognize anything about them. So not sure to accept or deny. Be grateful if you could tell me. btw, the virus I'm trying to get rid of is that stupid virtumonde / htepo.com / security toolbar 7.1 nonsense, but I am already following instructions on that. I just need to know about this one dll file. Hope I posted to the correct forum. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

btw, the virus I'm trying to get rid of is that stupid virtumonde / htepo.com / security toolbar 7.1 nonsense, but I am already following instructions on that. I just need to know about this one dll file. Hope I posted to the correct forum. Thanks!

If you are following instructions from someone involving a HiJackThis log you shouldn't ask for help anywhere else until your HJT advisor is done with you.
A google on your .dll shows no results so it's probably best to let a malware expert help you out.
X

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer , maniai

Please run the SmitfraudFix from these instructions. How to remove the Smitfraud / Generic Zlob . Print those instuctions. Download,Save to desktop,update.
DO NOT RUN yet.

Next Download,Save to desktop,update. SUPERAntiSpyware Use the Free Home User Version.
DO NOT RUN yet.

Now reboot your computer into Safe Mode. Perform the Generic Zlob instructions. You will finish that with a reboot.
Reboot again into Safe Mode and perform the Super scan. Delete/Quarantine anything found.

Let us know
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 maniai

maniai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:50 AM

No one is giving me advise or helping me. I found instructions on a website, printed them out and I am following them.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

What happened with the SmitfraudFix and superAntispyware scans??
What instructions are you following?

Also would you confirm the spelling on this ,,, gjnvmvrr.dll

Edited by boopme, 09 November 2007 - 10:27 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

No one is giving me advise or helping me. I found instructions on a website, printed them out and I am following them

You should not be following specific instructions provided to someone else especially in a HijackThis forum. Those instructions were most likely given under the guidance of a trained staff expert to help fix that particular member's problems, NOT YOURS. Before taking any action, the helper must investigate the nature of the malware issues and then formulate a fix for the victim. Although your problem may be similar, the solution is not always the same. Ignoring this warning and using someone else's fix instructions could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.

With that said, it sounds like your dealing with multiple infections. gjnvmvrr.dll is probably part of the vundo infection.

In addition to the instructions provided by boopme, please follow the the instructions for using Vundofix in BC's self-help tutorial: "How To Remove Vundo/Winfixer Infection".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 maniai

maniai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, but I know your advise is free, and it is appreciated, but I just wanted to see if that was a quick question that could be answered; I don't think this was the way to go, and although I know you have good intentions, I didn't ask for a lecture. It looks like most of the problem has been taken care of using the instructions I had found. Closing this thread, with my thanks.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:07 AM

I'm glad your problem has been resolved. My intent was not a lecture but a general warning about using fix instructions provided by someone else. Further, it was not directed entirely at you. We have many members that read through these threads and my primary motive was to inform whoever may be reading this thread. Hope you can understand and appreciate I'm here to help all our members so I keep that in mind when answering questions and providing assistance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users