Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Infections Everywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrcohs

mrcohs

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:48 PM

NOVICE COMPUTER USER HERE.....so go easy on the terminology with me.......i need help bad.......i frequently run ad-aware and spybot search and destroy.......they find problems but cant remove them...............the entire computer is slower than it has ever been and getting worse.............

can someone please, plese help me??????????

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:46 AM

Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instructions for Super AntiSpyware:
Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
Click Close to exit the program and reboot normally.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hello mrcohs

It would be helpful if you could advise the name of these risks, the files associated with them and where your scans are saying they are located.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mrcohs

mrcohs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:13 PM

Thank you...........I am running BITDEFENDER now which looks like it will take a while before finishing................i will then run hijack this and post the log...........anything else i need to do?

thanks again

JC

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,620 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

Have you run the Super Antispyware? When you have, let us know what it and Bit Defender found.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 mrcohs

mrcohs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

they both found incredible amounts of problems.................bit defender ran over an hour and thirty minutes and deleted over 600 problems.................odd thing is when all files were checked....it kept checking more files over the amount shown as on hand...........i had to stop the scan because it showed an additional 9 hours after it timed out the first time.........

anything else before i move onto the hijack this?

thanks

jc

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,620 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

If you don't have an antivirus program installed on your computer, download and install AVG antivirus.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-prod...s/frt/0?prd=aff

Permanently delete the quarantined files in Super Antispyware, Bit Defender and any other security program you have quarantined files.

Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/

Run a scan with AVG antivirus or the one you have installed and is up to date. Run the scan in safe mode.

Let us know what the scan finds other than cookies or files in system restore
It would also be a good idea to disconnect from the internet before running the antivirus scan and another scan with Super Antispyware in safe mode.

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Edited by buddy215, 09 November 2007 - 02:30 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

I have moved your Hijackthis log to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum. You posted your log in a forum not intended for these logs analysis and probably missed the directions we provide to those who require assistance.

Your log can be found here.

Please follow all directions that I posted as a reply to your log. Following these instructions will ensure that your hijackthis log is properly posted so it can be reviewed in a timely manner.

If you have any questions please respond in that thread. To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users