Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp Reinstall Error. Someone Plz Help..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 eggy1004

eggy1004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

I HAD GOTTEN A TROJAN OR SOMEKIND OF VIRUS/MALWARE/SPYWARE.

TRIED FIXING IT WITH DIFFERENT SOFTWARES/PROGRAMS. NONE OF THEM HELPED. I STILL HAVE THIS lssas.exe I TRIED TO DELETE IN THE WINDOWS TASK MANAGER AND IT WOULDN'T LET ME DELETE IT. SO I GOT TIRED. AND DECIDED TO LOOK FOR MY XP CD. I HAD FOUND IT AND NOW

IT WON'T REINSTALL.

I HAVE WINDOWS XP MEDIA EDITION.

AND WHILE DURING SETUP SOME FILES WERE MISSING I HAD LOOKED UP THOSE FILES ON GOOGLE AND IT APPEARED THAT PPL SAID I DIDN'T NEED THEM SO I HAD SKIPPED THOSE FILE.

NOW WHEN THE LAPTOP RESTARTED AND WENT INTO SETUP. IT'S SAYS FILE \$WIN_NT$.~BT\HALAACPI.DLL COULD NOT BE LOADED. THE ERROE CODE IS 7.

SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE. PRESS ANY KEY TO EXIT.

and whenever i try to do what ppl tell me to d about the virus/spyware/malware problem it just leads me to more usless software downloads that i have to enable the internet, which starts the popups and puts my laptop to system shutdown by the stupid trojan virus.

someone please help-_- just want to reinstall with a new fresh clean xp installed

{Mod Edit: Moved to more approproate forum~~Boopme}

Edited by boopme, 08 November 2007 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hello,

that is a nasty trojan, Can you boot into safemode? if you can, you might try the system file checker, click start then run then type sfc /scannow

If you have the original discs, you can wipe the hard drive and then start from scratch again.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

okay im going to try it now so please come back and dont leave so i can reply back.

okay i tried..
nothing comes out when i run sfc..

only a brief outline of a rectangular box. and then it disappears...=[

Edited by eggy1004, 08 November 2007 - 10:07 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

Sorry about that, it was 2:50 AM when I left, I needed some sleep.

http://www.download.com/Advanced-WindowsCa...4-10755164.html this tool, will fix most common problems, Also you might want to submit a hijackthis log to the forum,
Regards,

Alan.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in "Safe Mode" to return to a previous state before your problems began?

Are you sure the spelling was "lssas.exe" (W32.AGOBOT.RL Trojan) and not lsass.exe which is the Local Security Authentication Server that verifies the validity of user logons to your computer and generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service.

Determining whether lsass.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. The legit lsass.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If found running from a different location it is malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

i had tried system restore as soon as i got the malware. that was the first thing i did. but for some reason it wouldn't go back and i tried for different dates all the way back into august. and nothing worked which is why im in a state of panic now. oh and it's lsass but i surfed around and they said you lsass could still be a trojan?

Edited by eggy1004, 09 November 2007 - 07:40 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

I did some further research and the "halaacpi.dll could not be loaded" error message appears to be related to hardware issues, not malware. There may be a problem with your CD drive and its not able to read your cd properly. The cd itself could be bad. In previous years, the error was related to a bad floppy startup disk. Try swapping out your CD drive with another one.

Yes, lsass could still be malware but as I said, that depends on where is running from (location). The legit lsass.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If found running from a different location it is malware. Where is yours running from? If you don't know, then download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

#8 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

okay..i don't have another cd drive...so i guess then reinstalling my xp is not an option anymore.....

oh and the lsass.exe it doesn't seem like it's malware because it's practically using 0%cpu usage and its in the system32 folder.

anyways.
thankyou for your time and helpful answers... =[

>>>i have to travel out to another state right now. so ill try the bootable floppy disk when i come back asap and update my info. thankyou.

Edited by eggy1004, 09 November 2007 - 11:34 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

You may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If your hard drive's boot sector or Windows' basic boot files have been corrupted, this disk will circumvent the problem and boot you into Windows. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.

A Boot Disk can start the operating system and resolve boot issues such as:
. Use the procedures in this article to work around the following boot issues:
• Damaged boot sector.
• Damaged master boot record (MBR).
• Virus infections.
• Missing or damaged Ntldr or Ntdetect.com files.
• Incorrect Ntbootdd.sys driver.
• To boot from the shadow of a broken mirror. Please note that you may need to modify the Boot.ini file to do this.

You cannot use the Windows XP boot disk to help resolve the following issues:
• Incorrect or damaged device drivers that are installed in the System folder.
• Boot issues that occur after you see the Windows XP startup (Osloader) screen.

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks from Microsoft. The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

#10 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

just want to comment back on the other thread that you had closed. boopme had said that the error code i had showed might be the sasser worm so he had gave me the thread on the sasser worm. i had tried all the sites and scans except for microsoft (the site was no longer worker). both trend and micro and i am still getting the error message when i start the computer along with a system shutdown message after i press ok and it freezes when i cancel(sometimes)

i had started a another thread because it was a different topic, with a different problem.

#11 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:15 PM

i still need help with the system shutdown problem....

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

i still need help with the system shutdown problem....

eggy1004, You have posted this issue and it is being resloved in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/116121/desperate-help-windows-is-not-starting/